Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
day 4...nothing like waiting to make you impatient :)

I candled a few of the eggs and I definitely see veins in some of them. Yippie it's working!

I candled an egg from one of my hens and it seemed to have an air bubble. when I moved the egg the air bubble followed. It looked really odd. This was an infertile egg right out of the nest box. Is that normal? popped air sac?

2/7 made it to lockdown: woke to see that they both have moved since placed. Excited for potential, new birds. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I put my eggs in the incubator on Saturday morning, so today Thursday is day 5? I have an IncuView, and I've been aiming to keep the humidity around 35%. Almost every morning it is down to 10% and I have to add water. Is that normal? The temperature is fine.

I was going to wait and candle them tomorrow, but I got antsy and candled them just now. Most of them have a much larger dark blog (that's the technical term, right? :)) and I could see veins in some. A few (3/13, I think), just have a small blob that rolls around the egg. Are those dead or duds?

So exciting to see the hatching eggs!

On another note, we rescued a pregnant kitty a week ago, and she "hatched" her 5 babies on Monday night!

Hi there,

I put my eggs in the incubator on Saturday morning, so today Thursday is day 5? I have an IncuView, and I've been aiming to keep the humidity around 35%. Almost every morning it is down to 10% and I have to add water. Is that normal? The temperature is fine.

I was going to wait and candle them tomorrow, but I got antsy and candled them just now. Most of them have a much larger dark blog (that's the technical term, right? :)) and I could see veins in some. A few (3/13, I think), just have a small blob that rolls around the egg. Are those dead or duds?

So exciting to see the hatching eggs!
I just lost an entire hatch this way. Make sure your incubator is out of drafts and add either paper towels or a jar with a sponge, something to keep humidity up. I lost humidity twice, it dropped to 16 and lost the whole hatch. I'm sure more experienced people will have better Ideas for you. Good Luck! In my case I was only using the heat(home not incubator) at night and it sucked all the room humidity out.

Last edited:
Ugh! I'm so nervous about it. It is definitely not in a drafty spot. I don't know why it is doing that. I took the plug out of the hole in the top. I wonder if I should put it back in?

This may have been answered in later postings....I am behind a couple of days. I am struggling with the same thing! Two feet of melting snow and in the fifties, and sixties the last couple of days. I candled night before last and think my air cells are too small, I lock down tomorrow and have not been adding any water for the last two days hoping to increase the size.
I tried it an it might have lowered the humidity, but house humidity is now back down since most of the snow/ice is gone so hard to tell. So not sure if it's a viable humidity adjustment method or not yet. Going to do some more testing next batch. Now I'm worried it's gotten too dry! <sigh> Iowa, whatdyado?

day 4...nothing like waiting to make you impatient :)

I candled a few of the eggs and I definitely see veins in some of them. Yippie it's working!

I candled an egg from one of my hens and it seemed to have an air bubble. when I moved the egg the air bubble followed. It looked really odd. This was an infertile egg right out of the nest box. Is that normal? popped air sac?
I had some eggs like that, too. I sold some legbar eggs to a friend and candled them just to make sure she wasn't getting any cracked or porous eggs. There were two or three that had air bubbles in them the moved when you turn the egg. I did not set any of them because I didn't think they would hatch. My hatch success with the legbars has been horrible. Maybe the air bubbles are the problem. I think all the eggs were from one hen, but I can't be 100% since all the eggs are the same color.

ETA: These eggs were not shipped or dropped. They came right out of my next boxes and were laid this way. :(

I tried to take a pic of the bubbles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom