March hatch along

Morning everyone , well it's sunny 'spring' like here in Wiltshire UK
smile.png

How's everyone doing ?
We'll my temp stayed stable all night. Did my 1st turn this morning. Some say don't turn day 1 , some say do ? So I did ! I'm making notes each day, so if hatching fails I can look at where I may have gone wrong
wink.png
x
I think it depends on the condition of your air cells. With shipped eggs I have seen recommendation to not turn for the 1st 24 hours, I have even seen a recommendation to not turn for the first 5 days (shipped or not) because the delicate veins can be torn. I'm going to try this with my hatchery birds next year. My test eggs were from a gal down the street and the air cells were in great shape so I started turning them day one. I think with shipped eggs it's best to let them go for 24 hours so air cells can reattach, I don't know this from experience though. I get to find out in March since I have eggs coming from Ohio.

I wish is was a nice sunny "spring" day here. Dark and cold in good ole Wyoming USA (the "ole west"). I work nights so that's why I'm up at 2:48AM

Sounds like a good idea. What kind of incubator are you using? Also be careful if the light you are using throws a lot of heat ... You can severely damage the embryo (literally cook it) if it gets too hot. Best to use s cool light source such as an led if possible
Yes, thanks. I kinda gave up on messing with the whole spotlight, and what I do have is an LED. But I will be careful if I do use it.. I won't be over it but in front.. Don't really count on my idea to be any better than the flashlight anyway.

I did candle just now. Here's my update from my "home thread".. Tweaked a little for here
------------------------
Well, I candled.

ALL of my AM eggs (5 set) seem to be growing at super-hero leaps & bounds. Don't quote me on the "all" because I really didn't stress over being sure to track each one since the ones I was picking randomly were all going strong. But wow! It's like they were set days before the others, lol.

ONE BCM egg (of 3) I'm pretty sure I see veining but too dark for the others.. Not concerned.

ONE definite and ONE probable (set two days apart) mutt/barnyard mixed (from the AM roo.. verile little thing he is, @abmaddox1981..)

And the real pisser, but again I'm not giving up yet-

ONE (out of seven) Brahma eggs has a TINY spot of veining at the air cell. Like to where you think you're seeing things.
----------------------------

Y'all have a great day. :) Back to work for me!

Morning everyone , well it's sunny 'spring' like here in Wiltshire UK :)
How's everyone doing ?
We'll my temp stayed stable all night. Did my 1st turn this morning. Some say don't turn day 1 , some say do ? So I did ! I'm making notes each day, so if hatching fails I can look at where I may have gone wrong ;) x
Well it's snowing AGAIN here in "Siberia"... Aka New Jersey. It's only supposed to get into the teens to around 20 degrees f tomorrow here. Ugggh! Snow is forecast 4 out of the next 7 days... Spring sounds pretty good right about now!

My candling update.. Day five for all but the silkies, which are on day three-ish.

AM 5/5 and by far the strongest of the bunch! I can see heartbeats & all.

BCM 3/3 (one is super dark but the other two I can at least see a hint Of something so I'm assuming..

Silkies 6/6 (they are two day behind the others but look great as well)

Mutts 2/2

GL brahma, out of seven.. I have one I'm 90% sure is good, three soft "maybes", and three that are still a firm "NO"..

I think it depends on the condition of your air cells. With shipped eggs I have seen recommendation to not turn for the 1st 24 hours, I have even seen a recommendation to not turn for the first 5 days (shipped or not) because the delicate veins can be torn. I'm going to try this with my hatchery birds next year. My test eggs were from a gal down the street and the air cells were in great shape so I started turning them day one. I think with shipped eggs it's best to let them go for 24 hours so air cells can reattach, I don't know this from experience though. I get to find out in March since I have eggs coming from Ohio.

I wish is was a nice sunny "spring" day here. Dark and cold in good ole Wyoming USA (the "ole west"). I work nights so that's why I'm up at 2:48AM
Hey Cash, i just noticed you are from wyo... I spent a few semesters at the Univ. of Wyo many moons ago. It surely was cold the winter i spent there. Loved my time there though.

Hey Cash, i just noticed you are from wyo... I spent a few semesters at the Univ. of Wyo many moons ago. It surely was cold the winter i spent there. Loved my time there though.
Yep, good old cold WYO. Laramie is one of the more beautiful areas of the state. All of it is beautiful but some areas are nicer than others. I live in a VERY windy area, we're surrounded by wind generators, so -40F wind chills are not unusual here. It was -8 at 9pm last night (2/25) I'm so ready for spring temps, not the spring weather where we can get a foot of snow and 65mph gusts.
Sorry for rambling
hide.gif

I'm glad your time here was good.
thumbsup.gif

I know my descriptions of this state may not sound so great but I love it here and wouldn't change it for anything.

My cousin lives in WY and their pics make me green with envy. Until it comes to their September to April snow! :/ I have GOT to go visit them someday, though.

Back
Top Bottom