March hatch along

Okay, today is day 7/8. Can someone please explain to me how we count the days? Maybe it's because I set them in the evening that I'm having difficulty, lol.
I candle again last night and found one egg had gone completely dark, so I sniffed it....PEE EWW! So removed one stinker last night, have 6 eggs that appear to be infertile, but until they start to stinkin' or oozing, I'm gonna just leave them there as a heat sink.

I saw some little tadpoles moving around in there, my husband couldn't see it, he just didn't know what he was looking at is all!

Okay, today is day 7/8. Can someone please explain to me how we count the days? Maybe it's because I set them in the evening that I'm having difficulty, lol.
I candle again last night and found one egg had gone completely dark, so I sniffed it....PEE EWW! So removed one stinker last night, have 6 eggs that appear to be infertile, but until they start to stinkin' or oozing, I'm gonna just leave them there as a heat sink.

I saw some little tadpoles moving around in there, my husband couldn't see it, he just didn't know what he was looking at is all!
I've been told that if you set after lunch that you do not count the day that you set. Instead, you count the next day as day one.

Thank you, jade! Now I'm really nervous. Getting development is one thing, you KNOW you are making positive progress. I think I am* just going to have to stop candling to look for growth,and just mark the air cells.

How do you do it by yourself? I have to use my cell phone as a flash light,and don't know how I'll be able to maneuver a pencil around* the egg while holding the egg and the light.

I am guessing that most of you have* a candler that holds the egg for you?

*gr...autocorrect!

Last edited:
Thank you jade! Now I'm really nervous. Getting development is one thing, you KNOW you are making positive progress. I think I just going to have to stop candling and looking for growth,and just mark the air cells.

How do ydo it by yourself? I have to use my cell phone as a flash light,and don't know how I'll be able to maneuver a pencil aro ung the egg while holding the egg and the light.

I am guessing that most of you has a candler that holds the egg for you?
Actually, I think having two people candle the same egg would be a bit clumsy. I would candle my Ameraucana eggs alone by making a box to put the flashlight in and sitting the egg on top. I couldn't candle my marans eggs at all since they were too dark.

Update, I still have most of my eggs in the bator since I went to do an eggtopsy again last night and when I popped open the aircell, I saw MOVEMENT. I carefully got the damp paper towel around the egg and put it back in. Today is day 24 and I keep looking in through the window to check on it. If I bump the table that the bator is on, I see the chick move again. Guess I'll wait another day or two.

Just got word from home. One of my son's ameraucana eggs (not the one that I popped the air cell in last night) has pipped and is peeping LOUDLY. Hopefully when I get home tomorrow morning I will have a chick. Still no sign from the marans eggs though.

If I get just ONE chick, I'll be happy. Especially after going thirty hours during the weekend when they were supposed to hatch without power. At least the one that has pipped is one of my son's. Though it still isn't hatched yet so keep your fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Last edited:
We had a terrible ice storm and we still have trees down everywhere. I have someone on my road who has been told that it will be TWO WEEKS before he gets power due to the damage done to the lines on his property.

Back
Top Bottom