March hatch along

I've never studied into it. I just know I sure don't ever want one!
sickbyc.gif

Any time I have an egg that is just so obviously behind the others I know in my heart it can't work, I just go ahead and take it out and chuck it in the woods. I've never opened an egg that didn't hatch or didn't make it all the way. I candle enough to know the condition of each egg. If I can tell one is a quitter I don't feel the need to open it up and confirm it. I guess I'm at peace with knowing they can't all make it and I don't need that closure. LOL
But when it comes to a stinker... that's a different story for me. That is just such a distinct smell that I immediately pick it right out soon as I open the bator to turn the eggs. When I get "the bad smell", I just start picking up each egg and sniffing it till I find the culprit. Usually that ain't too hard! LOL...YUCK!
If I ever had an egg explode in an incubator, I'd probably unplug it and throw the whole thing in the trash and start over. I'm that paranoid of having that happen!
On a happy note though-
Today I got the first egg ever from my pair of turkeys!
wee.gif

I collected the egg and left a dummy egg in the place to encourage her to lay again there. I'm so excited! Tomorrow is the second birthday of the tom turkey. I hatched him and he was the only one that made it. His feet were curled and we had to do the band aid thing to correct them. He grew into a huge pet. I'd say he's upper 20 to lower 30 pound range. His hen I have him paired with was last springs hatch, and this is the first egg she's laid.

And here is Tommy now... I hatched him from a Naragansett Tom over a midget white hen. LOL. One of Luckypickens' eggs.

and of course here's the baby pic.

Candled last night, got 5 out of 18 with 3 questionable. Not too good of a percentage, but I delighted that I actually have some
ya.gif
I left the others in there just encase they are slow developing. I'll recheck in a couple of days
fl.gif

I added 18 more barn yard mix from a friend to the bator too, I think I'm hooked!

Last edited:
Candled last night, got 5 out of 18 with 3 questionable. Not too good of a percentage, but I delighted that I actually have some:ya  I left the others in there just encase they are slow developing. I'll recheck in a couple of days :fl  

I added 18 more barn yard mix from a friend to the bator too, I think I'm hooked!
What day are you on again? I had several that took days longer to be able to identify positive growth. Hopefully you will too!! Good luck!

Candled last night, got 5 out of 18 with 3 questionable. Not too good of a percentage, but I delighted that I actually have some:ya  I left the others in there just encase they are slow developing. I'll recheck in a couple of days :fl  

It's a start.... 5 more than last time. I cant remember if these were shipped eggs or not.

It's day 7, so there's still hope for more.

Yes definitely more than last time, they were shipped.
5 + out of 18 shipped eggs is kind of par for the course. There is so much that could happen to them along the way. I always calculate my % based on the number i actually purchased on shipped eggs. If i ordered 12 eggs and received 3 extras, i use 12 as my mental starting point. This way if i wind up with 9 that hatch if count that as 75% instead of 60%. It always makes me feel better!

5 + out of 18 shipped eggs is kind of par for the course. There is so much that could happen to them along the way. I always calculate my % based on the number i actually purchased on shipped eggs. If i ordered 12 eggs and received 3 extras, i use 12 as my mental starting point. This way if i wind up with 9 that hatch if count that as 75% instead of 60%. It always makes me feel better!
Yep that would make it better. I ordered 12 so I'm just under 50% instead of 27%, that's so much better.

I got all the extras because pay pal over charged me for shipping so he put in a few more to make up the difference. I'm glad he did too!

Yep that would make it better. I ordered 12 so I'm just under 50% instead of 27%, that's so much better.

I got all the extras because pay pal over charged me for shipping so he put in a few more to make up the difference. I'm glad he did too!
Just curious... How were the eggs packed? Were they wrapped individually and then put into the box or were they wrapped in an egg carton and then put into the box? I have had more consistent results with individually wrapped eggs spread out in the packing material. My theory is that the egg carton packed eggs have a greater mass and are subject to more shaking etc.. Just my thoughts. I only have them packed individually now and even pay extra to have them split between boxes if they are really expensive eggs sometimes .

Just curious... How were the eggs packed? Were they wrapped individually and then put into the box or were they wrapped in an egg carton and then put into the box? I have had more consistent results with individually wrapped eggs spread out in the packing material. My theory is that the egg carton packed eggs have a greater mass and are subject to more shaking etc.. Just my thoughts. I only have them packed individually now and even pay extra to have them split between boxes if they are really expensive eggs sometimes .
individually wrapped in bubble wrap, surrounded by shredded paper.

Back
Top Bottom