March hatch along

Well, I couldn't stand not knowing. I candled an egg and found no movement so I carefully opened the egg to do an eggtopsy and found a fully formed but dead chick in one of my Ameraucana eggs. It had never pipped and I'm certain that the power going out while I was at work when their day twenty began had to have been the culprit. I'll still leave the rest in the bator for a couple of days just to be certain that there is no one in there that can make it (All but two are Marans eggs so they'd be to dark to candle) just in case.

Too bad. It was a lovely black little chick.

Well, I couldn't stand not knowing.  I candled an egg and found no movement so I carefully opened the egg to do an eggtopsy and found a fully formed but dead chick in one of my Ameraucana eggs.  It had never pipped and I'm certain that the power going out while I was at work when their day twenty began had to have been the culprit.  I'll still leave the rest in the bator for a couple of days just to be certain that there is no one in there that can make it (All but two are Marans eggs so they'd be to dark to candle) just in case.  

Too bad.  It was a lovely black little chick.

Sorry for your loss. Hope you get at least a few to salvage the hatch.

Well, I couldn't stand not knowing. I candled an egg and found no movement so I carefully opened the egg to do an eggtopsy and found a fully formed but dead chick in one of my Ameraucana eggs. It had never pipped and I'm certain that the power going out while I was at work when their day twenty began had to have been the culprit. I'll still leave the rest in the bator for a couple of days just to be certain that there is no one in there that can make it (All but two are Marans eggs so they'd be to dark to candle) just in case.

Too bad. It was a lovely black little chick.

I'm sorry about that I was hoping they would make it, I think if they don't it is a matter of timing as much or more then the temp. drop. I think they can handle a temp drop better in the earlier stages then right before hatch. (but that is just an opinion)

Don't forget the worry, bad dreams, stress, and nagging feelings of inadequacy!!
lau.gif
No kidding! I'm so scared this set will be bad as well.
I get to candle Monday night, I am not hopeful so I don't disappoint myself again, last time was such a let down. I feel like it is all my fault.

About the only way I know to have successful staggered hatches is to have one incubator with humidity where you want for the first 18 days, and a second incubator set up for lockdown.
I'm getting ready to redo my operation with a circulated air bator for the beginning and middle, and a still air to lockdown and hatch in. I'm also toying with the idea of running both off solar power because this power outage scared the crap out of me.
So question. What temp do you set your still-air at for hatching? I'm little nervous about the transition.

So question. What temp do you set your still-air at for hatching? I'm little nervous about the transition.

Well, I would think 100 or 101. Somewhere thereabout. I really don't know. I've always done circulated air, but I think the fan is part of the reason I get shrink wraps with every hatch. For this hatch I'm thinking about putting a piece of construction paper in front of it to deflect it away from the eggs.

Well, tonight was day 14 for my duck eggs and day 7 for the chickens. The duck eggs still look great! :D Out of the chicken eggs there was one cracked that was removed, a few clears, 1 blood ring, and the rest looked good. This is our first time setting eggs, so I just keep hoping it goes well.

Back
Top Bottom