Mareks😔

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
Was curious how many others on here have dealt with(or are dealing with)Mareks in their flocks. I just lost another chicken a couple hours ago. This is now 13 chickens in total. Did you guys lose ur whole flock? Im so terrified. I dont even get a second to at least try to deal or come to terms with one loss before Im losing another. My heart is so broken I dont even want to have chickens anymore after this.

Thank you @Wyorp Rock.

I lost about 2/3rds of my original flock to Marek's Disease. I was the lucky recipient of a MD trifecta. Visceral, Neural and Ocular Marek's Disease.

Please do read my article about my experiences with the disease. Hang on, I know the pain you are going through and the frustration but it will get better. :hugs

You can keep chickens in the shadow of Marek's disease and I have a flock of approximately 50 birds to prove it!

Was curious how many others on here have dealt with(or are dealing with)Mareks in their flocks. I just lost another chicken a couple hours ago. This is now 13 chickens in total. Did you guys lose ur whole flock? Im so terrified. I dont even get a second to at least try to deal or come to terms with one loss before Im losing another. My heart is so broken I dont even want to have chickens anymore after this.
Im so sorry. :hugs I believe i have delt with this a while back. It is not fun.

Obviously, if you do plan on ever getting more (or heck, even if not) disinfect everything beforehand. (Like, everything.)

But if you do, i know how you feel. Its hard to get more.

I had just a few chickens, and they all started dying off. It made me so sad but i had to understand it wasn’t my fault. I tried, i know i tried. Thats what counts. Its all a learning experience and to overcome things like this is a slow process.
I hope things get better. Sorry again fo your loss. Im sure you tried your hardest and did your best.

I'm so sorry for your losses. I don't have Mareks in my flock that I'm aware of, but I wanted to offer my condolences. It seems like the favorite birds have the worst time or are the sickest unfortunately. I'll share this post with a friend that has dealt with Mareks to see if they have anything to add. How long have you had Mareks in your flock?

Thank you @Wyorp Rock.

I lost about 2/3rds of my original flock to Marek's Disease. I was the lucky recipient of a MD trifecta. Visceral, Neural and Ocular Marek's Disease.

Please do read my article about my experiences with the disease. Hang on, I know the pain you are going through and the frustration but it will get better. :hugs

You can keep chickens in the shadow of Marek's disease and I have a flock of approximately 50 birds to prove it!
Im so sorry. But you gave me hope! 50 chickens after Marek’s diagnosis! Thats def good news. Can I ask you.. the pattern in loss? Like would you lose one then get a break for a week then lose another? Its so weird the way theyre going. I know their symptoms can be at rest then boom you lose one. But theres like no rhyme or reason in the way they’re going. I’ll get a break for a week lose one then ill get a break for 2 weeks or something lose another. This time I got like a little over a month without losing anyone I was naïve to think maybe that’s it we could be in clear(or I had to make myself believe that) then boom lost my Brahma Mama the other night. I kept saying she looked off in the eyes and usually with every bird I lost when I had that feeling they passed. How long until you stopped losing any? Did you end up waiting awhile before expanding ur flock? Did you vaccinate? Sorry for all questions just dont know anyone who's dealt with Marek’s too.

Im so sorry. :hugs I believe i have delt with this a while back. It is not fun.

Obviously, if you do plan on ever getting more (or heck, even if not) disinfect everything beforehand. (Like, everything.)

But if you do, i know how you feel. Its hard to get more.

I had just a few chickens, and they all started dying off. It made me so sad but i had to understand it wasn’t my fault. I tried, i know i tried. Thats what counts. Its all a learning experience and to overcome things like this is a slow process.
I hope things get better. Sorry again fo your loss. Im sure you tried your hardest and did your best.
I did. And before the diagnosis I wasnt sleeping I was up all hours of the night researching and caring for them trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because I never lost any birds before this! I had one i lost my first time ever owning chickens to hawk attack years ago and that was it! I feel like I caused it because I purchased new birds last spring and summer and then started to lose them starting that summer. I got a batch from a backyard breeder and Im wondering(even Dr.Jagne from Cornell said It does seem that way with timing) if they are who infected everyone.

I'm so sorry for your losses. I don't have Mareks in my flock that I'm aware of, but I wanted to offer my condolences. It seems like the favorite birds have the worst time or are the sickest unfortunately. I'll share this post with a friend that has dealt with Mareks to see if they have anything to add. How long have you had Mareks in your flock?
Thank you I appreciate that! And I lost my first one Nov. 2021. Well I did lose one Aug or Sept. But she was bad cross beak so I thought it was from her deformity. But Im thinking she was compromised already and then Marek’s might of happened. Then Nov. we had our first bird showing the lameness with her one leg behind her. The typical Marek’s paralysis.

I did. And before the diagnosis I wasnt sleeping I was up all hours of the night researching and caring for them trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because I never lost any birds before this! I had one i lost my first time ever owning chickens to hawk attack years ago and that was it! I feel like I caused it because I purchased new birds last spring and summer and then started to lose them starting that summer. I got a batch from a backyard breeder and Im wondering(even Dr.Jagne from Cornell said It does seem that way with timing) if they are who infected everyone.
My friend ended up with Mareks after purchasing birds from a breeder. So frustrating that the breeder is still in business 😢

Back
Top Bottom