Mareks Chicken Sling!!! Pics Included!!

Quote:
I agree with considering his quality of life. and the kindest action being the hardest for you but the best for him. I don't want to offend you or upset you, it's a very sad thing , I've been crying for months. Your rooster looks real bad. You have done your best. He looks like he's suffering. I've been there 17 times now.
hugs.gif

I was just told by a friend of mine who had a hen with Mareks, she was at the point that she could not stand. he did some research and he gave her Organic Coconut Oil and St Johns Wort and she has made a complete recovery within days. I wish i knew that sooner, i culled a beautiful boy 2 months ago that had it.

I have a Silkie who I thought had mareks, not sure if it was or not, but she couldn't stand and I made her a sling just like that! I did the whole mareks treatment, all kinds of stuff, including homeopathy. It took a couple of months but she recovered! I was pretty shocked. She pretty normal now, just a bit wobbly. But she can outrun me :)
I know that if it was Marek's, it could come back, but I'm happy that she is ok now.

Last edited:
Not sure if you will see this Out of the Brooder as it has been SO long, but I just saw this and I have a beautiful young Araucana who I think has Mareks. Started about a week ago. I have her in the sling and I am doing the St John's Wort thing ... anything else you recommend other than general vitamins, electrolytes etc.?

I am using liquid lysine. Mareks is a herpes based disease. I am also using some cbd oil, b vitamins and st. Johns wort. I am working w a poultry expert from a local university. It isnt better to cull. By the time one bird gas mereks she thinks it is likely the rest of the flock has been exposed already. My flock was vaccinated. This means the vaccination failed for one bird but is working for the others. The vaccine doesnt prevent mareks, it prevents the symptoms of mareks. The rest of my flock are probably now all carriers but non symptomatic because their vaccine. The most common reason for birds to die of leg paralysis mareks is lack of food and water or being pecked to death. Protecting them and feeding them gives them a good rate of survival but it can be a very long recovery. We know mareks has 4 symptoms. Leg paralysis (neural), eye discoloration, organ tumors, skin tumors. The only fatal symptom is the organ tumor symptom. One symptom doesnt progress to another however a bird can have multiple symptoms. My bird has leg paralysis. She may have organ tumors and if she does that will kill her. If i keep her alive she may recover from the illness and regain the use of her legs. This is worth doing because there is very little research on remedies for mareks. Maybe one of us will hit on something. Maybe that will instigate a proper study and an eventual treatment for the non lethal mareks symptoms. I really want to encourage people to try and save their birds!

I was just told by a friend of mine who had a hen with Mareks, she was at the point that she could not stand. he did some research and he gave her Organic Coconut Oil and St Johns Wort and she has made a complete recovery within days. I wish i knew that sooner, i culled a beautiful boy 2 months ago that had it.
I have a hen with mareks and she is at the point where she can’t stand :( she’s still eating and drinking. Is there any way you could find out the dosage of St. John’s wort and coconut oil that was given to your friends chicken? I am so desperate

Hello, thank you for sharing. Is there any way you could find out the dosage of St. John’s wort and coconut oil? I am so desperate to save my hen that can no longer stand. My heart is breaking i believe she has Mareks. TIA

Back
Top Bottom