Mareks: Long-term prognosis

You can't assume a bird has mareks just because it is vaccinated and say cull the whole flock.

A person who knowingly has infected birds and continues to treat and expose others is more of a risk in my opinion.

You can't assume a bird has mareks just because it is vaccinated and say cull the whole flock.

A person who knowingly has infected birds and continues to treat and expose others is more of a risk in my opinion.

No such assumption to be made. If they have been exposed to Mareks, even if vaccinated they have potential for being carrier. Vaccination promotes situation where exposed flocks can be vectors but not show signs of disease. I would trust assymptomatic but not vaccinated flocks over those also vaccinated and also not showing signs of Mareks. The former, if a carrierer, when stressed like moved and placed into quarantine are much more likely to become symptmatic if carriers while the vaccinated group will not. Birds that can exhibit signs of Mareks can then be red-flagged and culled prior to coming into contact with my flock. My logic is vaccination effectively "candy-coats" Typhoid Mary's so they are more likely to introduced into flock.

My treated birds are isolated from flock. Still a mute point since most of my birds are free range and it is from the free range flock the Mareks effected birds were culled from.

Cringe if you must but I will continue to try and treat my birds. I am no more of a risk to others than the person who culls their birds. The virus is still in their soil and on their other birds....

Thanks for all the kind words...like you, I've spent days crying. I sat down and sobbed when my tiny serama pullet started showing symptoms
hit.gif

As for the barred NN...as you can see, he takes his job as head roo very seriously :) These babies all hatched on Dec 4th and were vaccinated. Charlie, the roo, and his three woman remain symptom free. I'm hoping that has passed onto these babies. In this neck of the woods, barred NNs are pretty common :) I just wish I could share the wealth!

I practice good husbandry and the best biosecurity I can...other than that, I cry...and move on. Tomorrow has to be a better day, right? These feathered critters really steal your heart!
Your post has me all choked up. It's sooo sad, esp when your heart is in it, and you've waited so long. I consider my chickens pets and I have spent many days crying all day.

Sounds like it was a silkie, just like mine was. My first to die was my silkie roo, 2 years old with ALL the classic symptoms, which the vet dx'd as eastern equine encephalitis. Because there were no tumors. Now I know that's not enough or the only thing to base a dx on.

It's sad to even fly somewhere to get a NN. A barred NN from what I know is a very special bird.

So, since my realization, all are vaccinated by the hatchery or me. My flock is all older and already been exposed a few years ago. That's the best I can do

hugs.gif

The mareks vaccine or mareks vaccinated birds do not spread the disease from bird to bird. Infected birds spread the disease as well as dander from infected birds.

What I've learned is that a bird won't get and spread Marek's FROM the vaccine, but if a vaccinated bird is exposed, they will not get the deadly symptoms but can pass the disease on.

Maybe that's what you are saying here!

Quote:
I agree, Centrarchid. If you have a bird with Marek's, and it's lived in a flock, it's too late anyway. And if you cull them all, it's still in the ground and anywhere there's dust. So you just go on, pick up the pieces, vaccinate incoming chicks to save them from dying hopefully, and selling eggs.

Please keep me posted! we have a rooster that looks a lot like yours, but he's a cross with a orpington and is much bigger!

Our rooster has been hanging in there for almost two months now but he has NO walking ability, he lays on his side all the time and he can push with his right leg but not with his left. He has the same pale face and comb too. He has a great appetite and is very alert, so we don't know what to do with him. He's my son's bird and his first rooster so....
idunno.gif

If you hear anything about caring for a special needs rooster, please let me know!

If what I have read is accurate, vaccinating for Mareks keeps the birds from developing the tumors from the disease. There can still be neurological problems. The exposed birds will be carriers even if they don't display symptoms. The disease is shed through the feather follicles, in their dander. It can blow anywhere, can come from wild birds making a stop in your yard, or from your own birds that aren't displaying symptoms. It's almost impossible to stop. You would have to burn everything that came into contact with the dander from your birds. Even the fields they ranged and still not be able to kill all of it. There are products out there that can help disinfect. I believe oxine is one of them.

My first chickens with Marek's came from a flock where they are not vaccinated and the breeder has never seen it. No other chickens near me. I spent months wondering where it came from, and I finally just decided that it must have been from wild birds.

I read somewhere ( don't ask where...don't remember) that Marek's is seldom seen in broody raised chicks; and from my history, I would have to agree. All the chickens I have lost, but one, have been either hatchery or incubator. I have a bunch (lost count a long time ago) of "mutt" broody raised chicks and they are the healthiest amoung my flock. I have some of the most broody prone chickens in the world :)

Makes no sense, I know, but my broody raised chicks have also never had cocci.

Nothing goes by the rules (?haha) with Marek's. If you hatch your own eggs under your broodies, they may have resistance. If you hatch someone else's under your broody, they may all die.

Back
Top Bottom