Marek's Vaccination

Quote:
Believe it or not, I had the same incident which my two spitzhauben pullets and two Welsummer pullets died from Marek's and they were vaccinated. Was not too happy about it. They got it from the wild birds that came and went and used the coop all winter, had to chase them out every darn morning and before I know it, I was losing birds. Finally all is settled, everyone is immune to it. Every bird I get from the hatchery must be immunized and the ones I've hatched out, its a gamble.

When I spoke to the veterinarian about this yesterday, he said about 9 or 10 years ago, a new strain of Marek's showed up. They had to adjust the vaccine to account for the new strain. Don't know when this happened to you, but maybe this explains it.

This is an old thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I say get it- a small flock does not make you exempt from Marek's. My flock of 5 hens were infected with Marek's from wild critters, and they all had to be killed. We will be starting our flock over next spring with all vaccinated chicks. It stays in the soil as well, so you never know if someone who lived there before you had Marek's infected birds. Better safe than sorry- my poor lovely hens including my favorite splash JG all had to pay the price.
sad.png

Yes, too late. They must be vaccinated as day-olds, and then strictly quarantined for a min. of 10 days from any other birds to make sure they do not have exposure to the virus. Just cross your fingers that they don't get it, and get all future chicks that you purchase or hatch vaccinated from now on - that's what I did, I began a few years ago, but my original stock was not vaccinated.

I'm pretty sure I just lost my whole flock to Marek's. Personally I will never keep an unvaccinated bird again. It's horrible and fast, $.25 is nothing compared to the heartache.

sorry just noticed how old this post is. please ignore I can't figure out how to delete it.

Last edited:
I have heard that it's a live vaccine. So the vaccinated birds will be immune, but then they can pass it on to non-vaccinated birds. I have been raising poultry since I was 7 (12 years), and have NEVER had problems with Marek's or any other diseases. I always ask if adult birds were vaccinated for Marek's, before I buy them. That's what I've read at least, so research before you vaccinate.

Since my original posting I have learn from the Dept of Ag and the Univ of Ill this:
Vaccinate ASAP all birds.
Mereks is best given to day olds but will be effective to lessening degrees on bird up to 6 weeks.
Edited because I can't spell sometimes

Last edited:
Oh, sounds horrible. Alot say GET IT, alot say DON'T BOTHER. Ive already had my flock of 12 a couple months, the oldest is 1 yr and 2 months old. Should I still vaccinate??

Quote:
Wynette, is this vaccine something I can buy and keep on hand?? Like Im planning to either buy fertile eggs or raise some when my roosters get big enough. I don't think ANY of my dozen have been vacc inated. Now Im scared. Oh Dear.

Back
Top Bottom