Marek's...?

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
I have a chick who is about a month old. Yesterday morning I saw she was having trouble standing and being weak. Just now I noticed some things that might be tumors? One pupil looks elongated, but it is hard to tell since her eyes are so dark. She is still eating some and drinking electrolyte water with a dropper. she was relatively active, but is now very sleepy. I've attached some pictures. I have three other chicks that hatched around the same time with broodies, so I know they will all have it now too if it is Marek's... I am so devastated...

Attachments

• IMG_5500.jpg
    IMG_5500.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5502.jpg
    IMG_5502.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5503.jpg
    IMG_5503.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5504.jpg
    IMG_5504.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 5
It is hard to know for sure what the problem is. Mareks is said to not show up until at least 5 weeks of age, and usually later than that. Her symptoms seem like they could be neurological, though. Could she have been injured, or possibly dehydrated? What do her poops look like? I would try to get her drinking fluids, and taking vitamins with electrolytes, in something like Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 2 drops given orally. Offer some moistened feed and a little egg yolk. Have you seen Mareks before in your chickens? If you should lose her, a necropsy by your state vet can look for Mareks. You may want to check out chicken slings to get her upright and sitting. Here is a good link with pictures:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I just realized she is closer to five weeks. I got her from a neighbor and don't know the exact date she hatched. Her poops are mostly very white and goopy.

I've never had Marek's in my flock, but two of the chicks I got from a neighbor (though she said she had never had an outbreak either).

Thank you!

Update for today: She is acting about the same, but more lethagic. She is still moving her legs, but unable to stand. I made her a sling and am feeding her Rooster Booster, cottage cheese, and tuna.

Back
Top Bottom