Ocular Marek's? Or just changing?

AlexisWheeler

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2023
So I have 4 six week old Silver Laced Chocolate English Orpingtons. I noticed one of them had greenish eyes and none of the rest did. Now about a week or two later I checked today and all the rest of this eye color. I'm praying it's not Marek's but could it be or is it just a normal eye color with the breed?

These are from hatching eggs I ordered from eBay. They've been kept separate from my other flock (first they were brooded inside for a couple weeks after hatch then transferred into our outdoor building) ive never dealt with Marek's before. A few from my older flock outside that I checked today does not have this eye color.

I've attached pictures of each chicks right eye for reference. (They all have the same color on left and right side, I just did one side for reference)
They were in very close/direct sunlight from the window In the pictures so that could've made the pupil tinier too.

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_141601880_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240114_141601880_HDR.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20240114_141637433_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240114_141637433_HDR.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240114_141647712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240114_141647712_HDR.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240114_141704231_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240114_141704231_HDR.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240114_141813755.jpg
    IMG_20240114_141813755.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240114_141910940_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240114_141910940_HDR.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 13
So I have 4 six week old Silver Laced Chocolate English Orpingtons. I noticed one of them had greenish eyes and none of the rest did. Now about a week or two later I checked today and all the rest of this eye color. I'm praying it's not Marek's but could it be or is it just a normal eye color with the breed?

These are from hatching eggs I ordered from eBay. They've been kept separate from my other flock (first they were brooded inside for a couple weeks after hatch then transferred into our outdoor building) ive never dealt with Marek's before. A few from my older flock outside that I checked today does not have this eye color.

I've attached pictures of each chicks right eye for reference. (They all have the same color on left and right side, I just did one side for reference)
They were in very close/direct sunlight from the window In the pictures so that could've made the pupil tinier too.
Welcome to BYC! Hope you can find out what’s going on! @fluffycrow @azygous

First, Marek's wouldn't show up this early. Second, ocular Marek's is, if anything, an absence of color. The colored part around the pupil fades and turns pale and muddy. The pupil is also noticeable because it shrinks to a dot, and it's no longer perfectly round.

You simply have a blue-eyed chick.

First, Marek's wouldn't show up this early. Second, ocular Marek's is, if anything, an absence of color. The colored part around the pupil fades and turns pale and muddy. The pupil is also noticeable because it shrinks to a dot, and it's no longer perfectly round.

You simply have a blue-eyed chick.
Thank you for the reply!
So it is normal for chicks with dark brown eyes to change to this color?

Do you mean that this chick had brown eyes before this? Are you sure the chick wasn't just displaying the pupil before it grew to the size that the iris began to show?

Normally, chickens have brown or red or yellow eyes. Blue eyes are not necessarily a breed trait, but rather a mutation. Kind of like a flaw in the production line at the mint resulting in a coin with a flaw that ends up with a monetary worth well beyond its face value.

Do you mean that this chick had brown eyes before this? Are you sure the chick wasn't just displaying the pupil before it grew to the size that the iris began to show?

Normally, chickens have brown or red or yellow eyes. Blue eyes are not necessarily a breed trait, but rather a mutation. Kind of like a flaw in the production line at the mint resulting in a coin with a flaw that ends up with a monetary worth well beyond its face value.
I am positive that they changed from a brownish color to this color. I've been checking on one of the chicks regularly for a slipped tendon so I noticed the change in color in the eyes.

Keep a close eye on this chick. Watch for the blue to dull into a muddy, pale grey. But the clincher would be if the pupil, usually only one eye is affected, shrinks and becomes an irregular shape. Then you may suspect ocular Marek's.

Keep a close eye on this chick. Watch for the blue to dull into a muddy, pale grey. But the clincher would be if the pupil, usually only one eye is affected, shrinks and becomes an irregular shape. Then you may suspect ocular Marek's.
Okay thank you so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom