Ammonia Toxicity or Ocular Mareks???

It doesn't appear to me to be Marek's. The swelling suggests either infection or a respiratory virus. If vet care is an option they could test. I would still treat the eyes by flushing and ointment. If it's respiratory then Tylan or Tylosin is the usual treatment, you can get those on line, one source here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Depending on what it is, some of them are not 'cured' the bird is a carrier and symptoms can return during times of stress. If you take care of your known ammonia issue and treat the eyes and it resolves, then that would be your answer. I would not think that ammonia would be an issue in there, unless there is an enormous amount of droppings build up. Maybe you need to change out the sand, or maybe what you are smelling is fumes from something else. How many birds sleep in there?
Thank you for your input. I think you are right...its some type of infection. Today her eyes are worse and more puffy around the eyes. I started her on Tylan50. And continuing the Terramycin. I've looked at so many pics online of Mareks and other diseases and nothing matches. I've attached pics of her eyes today. They are cloudy on the bottom and puffy.
I've done a complete cleanout of the coop as well today. Smells great now! lol
To answer your question, I have too many in the coop! about 40 :/ I know its too many and I have been downsizing for the last few months and have more pullets and cockerels left to rehome. They are the size of my hand right now so it doesn't appear overcrowded in there but I am actively rehoming so I can get it down to 20 which the coop should support....they are all bantams.

Attachments

• Honey10.02a.JPG
    Honey10.02a.JPG
    759.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Honey10.02b.JPG
    Honey10.02b.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Honey10.02c.JPG
    Honey10.02c.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Honey10.02d.JPG
    Honey10.02d.JPG
    575.5 KB · Views: 8
Some of the pictures are not clear. Do her eyes appear the same, or is the right eye different?
Today her eyes are worse and more puffy. I started her on Tylan50. And continuing the Terramycin. I've looked at so many pics online of Mareks and other diseases and nothing seem to match. I thought maybe eye worm of some type but hers don't look like what I've seen online. I've attached pics of her eyes today. They are cloudy on the bottom and puffy.
I have not intro'd any new hens or had any visitors to the coop. I practice biosecurity and clean daily. The one thing I forgot to mention is that the last 2 wks I have been spreading some hot sauce at night around the perimeter of the coop to deter some rats that have been visiting and trying to gnaw their way into the coop. Do you think she may have gotten some dried hot sauce in her eye that may have transferred in the sand in the run? I feel horrible if that's the reason but wouldn't others be affected too? She is the only one.
What are your thoughts on what this could be?? TIA

Attachments

• Honey10.02a.JPG
    Honey10.02a.JPG
    759.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Honey10.02b.JPG
    Honey10.02b.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Honey10.02c.JPG
    Honey10.02c.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Honey10.02d.JPG
    Honey10.02d.JPG
    575.5 KB · Views: 6
That is definitely too many for that coop, so once you reduce your numbers hopefully that will help. You might consider installing poop boards under the roosts in the future, it helps a lot to keep droppings from building up and makes it easy to scrape it out every day.
It appears that she is developing pus in the eye, and that will have to be removed or it will just keep getting worse or coming back. Sometimes you can flush it out but sometimes it takes some manual removing. Sometimes it will squeeze out with some manipulation, or you may need to use a q-tip to gently work it loose and clean it out. There are a couple of videos in this thread, first in post #4, if pus bothers you, beware: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/white-mass-in-chicken-eye.1328238/

That is definitely too many for that coop, so once you reduce your numbers hopefully that will help. You might consider installing poop boards under the roosts in the future, it helps a lot to keep droppings from building up and makes it easy to scrape it out every day.
It appears that she is developing pus in the eye, and that will have to be removed or it will just keep getting worse or coming back. Sometimes you can flush it out but sometimes it takes some manual removing. Sometimes it will squeeze out with some manipulation, or you may need to use a q-tip to gently work it loose and clean it out. There are a couple of videos in this thread, first in post #4, if pus bothers you, beware: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/white-mass-in-chicken-eye.1328238/
Ugg...I hope I don't have to squeeze out pus! lol I'll keep flushing her eyes too. Thank you so much for your input.
I forgot to mention that I've been putting hot sauce around the perimeter of the coop at night to deter some rats trying to get in. I'm only sprinkling a little around the ground up against the wood but some got on the sand. I would feel horrible if somehow this is the culprit...I didn't think about it until last night. I stopped a few nights ago so I won't be doing that anymore.

I don't thing the hot sauce will hurt anything. Rats are smart and persistent, and tough to get rid of. I had an invasion of them a couple of years ago, ugh, took me months to get rid of them. I had to resort to poison (I am not a fan of poison at all) as nothing else was working, they will avoid traps. But at some point you will need to address them. They can carry leptospirosis and salmonella amongst other lovely diseases, they leave droppings and pee everywhere, will chew up your coop, and they dig.
This is a good article:
https://www.chickenguard.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-keeping-rats-away-from-your-chicken-coop/

I don't thing the hot sauce will hurt anything. Rats are smart and persistent, and tough to get rid of. I had an invasion of them a couple of years ago, ugh, took me months to get rid of them. I had to resort to poison (I am not a fan of poison at all) as nothing else was working, they will avoid traps. But at some point you will need to address them. They can carry leptospirosis and salmonella amongst other lovely diseases, they leave droppings and pee everywhere, will chew up your coop, and they dig.
This is a good article:
https://www.chickenguard.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-keeping-rats-away-from-your-chicken-coop/
Thx for the article! Rats are gross! Those diseases sound scary. I've been dreadfully scooping up their poop I find every single morning so the chickens don't eat it. I hope I don't have to resort to poison. I just tried RatX but they are smart and avoid it!
So my little Honey's eyes are looking worse today:( Getting more cloudy...it's not pus in there. It's like in her iris. When your roo got Mareks, did it happen overnight or within a few days? I don't suspect it's ocular Mareks with her and I've never had a case of it with any of my flock (although I know most chickens can be carriers). I don't see any change in the shape of her pupil. Unfortunately I can't take her to the vet so I'll continue the Terramycin ointment and Tylan50 (started yesterday).

Attachments

• Honey10.03d.jpg
    Honey10.03d.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Honey10.03b.jpg
    Honey10.03b.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 7
Occular Marek's tends to be very gradual and very slow. I think you are dealing with something else entirely. I still think it's pus in the eye, but I'm just looking at a picture.

Back
Top Bottom