Trauma / Injury / Marek's / Bumblefoot??

SafeGuard should always be given orally since it settles out of water. That way you can be sure they got the proper dosage. Dosage of the liquid goat wormer or horse paste 10% fenbendazole is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given orally for 5 days. That equals out to about 1.25-1.5 ml per chicken.

Unfortunately with Mareks in a flock, they can get sick from common diseases that other chickens can shake off. Mareks lowers the immunity and white blood cell count. I think giving some probiotics in the food or water a couple of days a week besides a healthy diet, can help with immunity.

My little girl that died had capillary worms. The flock is getting safeguard and the other other via their water. Sounds like I might need to give it to Carly orally. She ate last night but I haven’t seen her drink very much this morning.
I picked her up and mucus came out of her mouth and she sounds croupy, so now I’m trying to find tylan, which apparently you can’t buy anymore.

You may have accidentally squeezed on a full crop picking her up, and she got some into her airway causing her to vomit and choke. See if she will clear up and drink some water herself. PTylosin is generic Tylan that goes into the water, and is available online. I don’t recommend treating with antibiotics unless there is a reason. Tylosin for sale:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

Ok I’ll wait on the antibiotics. I gave her safeguard orally this morning before food. She is eating and drinking now. I made mash with her feed, poultry cell and a teensy bit of yogurt. I put an apple in the for entertainment and she’s giving it what for, so I think she feels ok. She still sounds very croupy. I really hope it clears up, she’s one of my original girls and is very special.

She sounds like she is sneezing and swallowing some mucus drainage after each sneeze. She could have a virus, but if you see bubbles or foam in either eye or swollen eyelid, MG might be the case. Tylosin can treat symptoms of MG, but not a virus. When my chickens had infectious bronchitis virus, many chickens became symptomatic and it took them about a month to recover and stop sneezing.

This thread is killing me because I lost my favorite hen in a very similar way to Cookie. I'm not discounting any natural methods, but after having her die to waiting and another recover from using a broad spectrum (twice) I am now of the mindset that if you already have antibiotics that you plan to use, don't wait, unless you're ok with using your pets as an experiment.

My thoughts on natural methods are thus, 1. Maintenance. 2. Budget. I'm not discounting any advice already given, in fact I've book marked some of it. I just needed to get this off my chest.

*I realize we're talking specific medication here, but guessing in the process. I'm speaking more about my situation in the case of a broad-spectrum antibiotic that may clear up quite a bit in the case of a compromised immune system.

I came back to apologize to @Eggcessive (tag won't work) if my post seems directed at them, that's not my intention. They are a tremendous resource of help on this site. I got emotional, and I also misspoke.

I used Ivermectin which is a broad spectrum antimicrobial/parasitic, antiviral, and while is in the same class of drugs, it is not what you have on hand so I had no place to say you should move forward with the antibiotic since I don't have the experience with the other drugs mentioned.

Beyond that my feelings are the same as far as my thought process in the future. There is a potential for virus as noted, and you're treating for parasites as well so I lean towards using a proven broad spectrum first. I thought all the same things Mereks, etc... poured over websites and forum posts, I waited and she died.

For her sister I did not, it was not quite the same situation but similarly elusive to diagnose. There's so many things and can cause varying degrees of symptoms some of which look very similar, it can be really hard to know. I think it's good that you are trying to target this, but if these are pets then my main point is you might start broad and then attempt to narrow it down from there, unless you're confident in what you're doing (I wasn't)

I'll not interrupt here anymore, I wish you luck.

Thank you. She won’t stand this morning. Flops over and spreads her wing.
Ive had chickens silkies & bigger ones since 2022. My first year good now i had 2 go lame suspected mareks. Vet did xrays cant find a issue with leg. I loved her so much but she couldnt walk nor eat so vet put to sleep . Now a rooster walks fine but will not eat & acts like forgot he is a chicken!! Ive lost 6 to weird unknown wasting away disease some paraylsis , some not. 2 looked like wry neck. Im so sad lately. My babies could have mareks & all be infected. Some will live others die. But no autopsy on any so not sure if mareks. Got st johns wort liquid extract ordered ive been told helps even mareks. How is your baby? I think she got too wet & others trampled her. :(

Back
Top Bottom