Vet suspects hen has Marek's disease

I would guess that it was something else. They can rarely recover from Mareks only to later die of tumors, but in most cases they don’t recover. It is good that she is doing somewhat better. I hope it continues. Continue to update us on her behavior.

I would guess that it was something else. They can rarely recover from Mareks only to later die of tumors, but in most cases they don’t recover. It is good that she is doing somewhat better. I hope it continues. Continue to update us on her behavior.

While factually untrue, I believe you are correct in the diagnosis/prognosis. The visceral form of Marek's has a high mortality rate of 80-90%. The neural form has 40-60% mortality rate and the Occular and Cutaneous forms have a non-existent mortality rate. Rates are lower when given supportive care.

The transient paralysis demostrated by this particular chook is indicative of the neural form. However, she mentioned curling of the feet. That indicates a B vitamin deficiency (Curly Toe Syndrome). With apparent immediate response to vitamin therapy, it is unlikely this chook has Marek's. Recovery from Marek's without antivirals takes weeks, if not months.

It has been 2-weeks now and Stretch seems to have completely recovered all mobility. She is eating well and acting normally. The vet was surprised with her recovery. He indicated to go ahead and stop administering antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory medicine.

In addition to the medicine, per your suggestions, I started giving her vitamins before switching over to rooster booster. So it is possible that the medicines did nothing and it was a vitamin deficiency. To be on the safe side I am going to start dosing the flocks water with the rooster booster.

The only remaining issue is that for the past week her crop has not been emptying at night. It is not hard but rather pliable; no sour smell. I have been massaging it and tried some olive oil with no improvement. The vet recommended a chicken bra and to keep an eye on it over the next 10-days or so. The hope is that the crop issue was a side effect of being on antibiotics.

I am going to start the process of reintroducing her to the flock tomorrow. Thank you very much for the advice and helping to save Stretch.

Glad to hear that she has mostly improved from symptoms, except for the crop. Hopefully, it will again start to empty normally by early morning.

It has been 2-weeks now and Stretch seems to have completely recovered all mobility. She is eating well and acting normally. The vet was surprised with her recovery. He indicated to go ahead and stop administering antibiotics and the anti-inflammatory medicine.

In addition to the medicine, per your suggestions, I started giving her vitamins before switching over to rooster booster. So it is possible that the medicines did nothing and it was a vitamin deficiency. To be on the safe side I am going to start dosing the flocks water with the rooster booster.

The only remaining issue is that for the past week her crop has not been emptying at night. It is not hard but rather pliable; no sour smell. I have been massaging it and tried some olive oil with no improvement. The vet recommended a chicken bra and to keep an eye on it over the next 10-days or so. The hope is that the crop issue was a side effect of being on antibiotics.

I am going to start the process of reintroducing her to the flock tomorrow. Thank you very much for the advice and helping to save Stretch.
Try some probiotics. Antibiotics tend to kill off the flora in your chooks GI system.

It’s wonderful that Stretch has improved! I have a girl who’s been sick for about 4 weeks now. Vet did a ton of diagnostics and found nothing. Sunny is still eating very little and losing weight. No other symptoms like the mobility issues Stretch has/had—but I did see the same crop weirdness. Her crop isn’t sour or impacted—or even very large—but it hasn’t fully emptied in weeks. My vet says she suspects Marek’s, even though my chicks were vaccinated and I haven’t added any new birds.

Thanks to those who’ve responded here. I posted about my bird a few minutes ago, before finding this post, and the responses here have been helpful to me, too.

It’s wonderful that Stretch has improved! I have a girl who’s been sick for about 4 weeks now. Vet did a ton of diagnostics and found nothing. Sunny is still eating very little and losing weight. No other symptoms like the mobility issues Stretch has/had—but I did see the same crop weirdness. Her crop isn’t sour or impacted—or even very large—but it hasn’t fully emptied in weeks. My vet says she suspects Marek’s, even though my chicks were vaccinated and I haven’t added any new birds.

Thanks to those who’ve responded here. I posted about my bird a few minutes ago, before finding this post, and the responses here have been helpful to me, too.
One more thing, WannaBeFarmDad:
If Stretch’s crop problem doesn’t resolve on its own or with the probiotics recommended above, the thing that seemed to help my girl most was, maybe oddly, watermelon. When unwilling to eat other things, she went for that. It kept her energy up, kept her well hydrated, and appeared to also help get things moving through her system better/faster.

Great news! Stretch is back with the flock. :)

The leg paralysis is completely gone and the crop problem cleared up in a couple of days. Thank you very much for all the advice!

The reintroduction with the flock after having her in the house for over 2-weeks took a little work. I paired Stretch up with a buddy hen for a few days. At night they got put into a dog crate in the coop. During the day I put them in a separate area of the enclosed run.

I then did some supervised visits with the Stretch and my rooster. Once it was clear that he was good with her, I started supervised visits with the rest of the flock. Adding her back definitely upset the pecking order. Lots of chest bumping and pecking. Not only with Stretch but between other hens as well. Stretch only really went at it with one other hen. I broke them up a couple of times to make sure no one was getting hurt. When they went at it a 3rd time I gave them a little bit to sort it out. Stretch made the other hen back down and then chased her off. No one was hurt and that seemed to end all fighting. Not sure if this was right approach.

The night after the fight I went out after dark and removed the 2 hens from the dog crate and placed them on the perch with the rest of the hens. Since then they have been together for a week or so with no issues.

How is stretch doing? Still mobile? Did she have any other symptoms? I currently have a hen that couldn't walk... then recovered... now can't walk again after a molt. Wondering what this is as vet exam is normal as is blood work... Stretches story gives me hope

How is stretch doing? Still mobile? Did she have any other symptoms? I currently have a hen that couldn't walk... then recovered... now can't walk again after a molt. Wondering what this is as vet exam is normal as is blood work... Stretches story gives me hope
Sounds like she needs some nutritional support. Molting can drain a bird of nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom