Vet suspects hen has Marek's disease

Hi, Stretch is completely normal now as if nothing was ever wrong.

When she was sick she had coordination issues. When trying to walk she stepped on her own feet or fell over. It was as if she was not aware of where she was placing her feet or they were paralyzed. She also lost her appetite. Blood work didn't show anything.

I don't know for sure but I do think vitamin supplementing helped. Hopefully, it is just the temporary stress of the molt and she gets better soon.

Hi, Stretch is completely normal now as if nothing was ever wrong.

When she was sick she had coordination issues. When trying to walk she stepped on her own feet or fell over. It was as if she was not aware of where she was placing her feet or they were paralyzed. She also lost her appetite. Blood work didn't show anything.

I don't know for sure but I do think vitamin supplementing helped. Hopefully, it is just the temporary stress of the molt and she gets better soon.

Glad to hear Stretch continues to thrive. She is a cutie for sure. Do you still supplement with any vitamins at all?

Hello,
It has been a rough couple of days.
My vet suspects that my hen (named Stretch) has Mareks even though she was vaccinated for it at the hatchery.
She is the chicken in the middle of the picture.

Here are the particulars:
1) Stretch is a Speckled Sussex that is 6-months old. Per the vet she has good musculature and is a healthy weight.
2) She is not moving much and didn't get up to see me why I entered the chicken run. She is eating and drinking very little
3) I have ring cameras in my coop and run. I went back and watched the video and she seemed fine Thursday morning. It was Thursday afternoon when I noticed she was sitting apart from the flock. Friday I took her to the vet.
4) My other 7 hens and 1 rooster all seem fine.
5) No signs of trauma or pain.
6) Hoping it is not Mareks but per vet it is high clinical suspicion for Marek's disease.
7) Prior to the vet I made her a scrambled egg. She pecked at it but ate very little. The vet has me tube feeding her 45mL of EmerAid Omnivore three times per day.
8) I brought her in the house and isolated her Thursday night. Friday morning she had only a small normal looking poop. Her poop, now after a day of feeding tubes, is very runny and white.
9) She has been prescribed Carprofen (anti-inflammatory) and Trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole (antibiotic).
10 ) She has gotten back some energy and is eating some more on her own. My intent is to continue to treat her and hope for a recovery. If she declines I will euthanize her and send her for a necropsy. I am curious if others have experienced Marek's disease. I am watching for a decline but am unsure what that means. She doesn't seem to be suffering but does not stand up. In the bottom of her cage I put down pine shavings for bedding. I noticed that she eats some of the shavings. Will this harm her? Should I put down something else for bedding? Anyone know what a decline from Marek's will look like?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

CraigView attachment 3676258
Its 2024 & a rooster is not eating. Not drinking,. standing alot. bearly moves. vet can find nothing wrong. what happened to yours? i have lost 6 in 2 years to wasting away issues :( all under 2 years old. Most 9 months old.

Attachments

• 366709966_1255005841870600_5633258578174357175_n.jpg
    366709966_1255005841870600_5633258578174357175_n.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 0
She hasn’t laid an egg yet. I originally thought she was egg bound and gave her a couple of Epsom salt baths before going to the vet. The vet confirmed that she is not egg bound.

I brought her to the veterinarian hospital at the University of Illinois. The official diagnosis is pelvic limb paraparesis. Notes indicate: Stretch is unable to walk more than a couple of steps due to significant incoordination and neurologic dysfunction of her legs. She is unaware of where she is placing her legs/feet (proprioceptive deficits), occasionally has a clenched foot, and some trembling when she is lifted up. She does have sensation, and motor function in each leg. There was no overt signs of trauma or predator attack.

It has been 4 days since she first exhibited systems. After tube feeding her a couple of days she is eating and drinking on her own. No real improvement in her ability to walk. She is not in any pain but I am skeptical that she will improve. The same veterinarian hospital will perform the necropsy if it comes to it.

What vitamin supplement do you recommend?
Hi Loving Honey,
Love you for trying SO hard for him/her,
Biggest of big bear hugs 🤗

Back
Top Bottom