Suddenly blind 7-8year old red sex link hen

KittyHawk

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 6, 2018
Hi
My older lady seems to suddenly have gone blind, noticed last night when she wasn’t in the coop with the others. Found her and helped her onto a lower perch hoping if she fell she wouldn’t hurt herself. This morning I had to help her off the perch. She couldn’t find the food/ hanging galvanized feeder. I lowered it some and put a bowl of pellets under it. She ate eagerly from the bowl. A little later I found her in the run drinking from large water bowl, but I also placed one near her food in the coop, I know not ideal but it’s a small closed container with the cup waterers attached.

I have read thru some threads. She seems totally normal other than loss of vision. Eating/drinking, she’s active and standing tall walking normally. Her comb is nice and pink and not droopy. I didn’t take pictures but her irises are still orangey/yellow her pupils are the same size just dilated.
I cleaned their feeder and put fresh food in. Coop is dry and doesn’t smell of ammonia.

Very possible it may just be from old age. Have you noticed she has had any trouble seeing before this sudden blindness? Like maybe only looking from one side or etc. I just don’t think there’s any additional issues unless you can physically see something wrong with her eyes like a cut. She is at an age where I don’t consider this weird but I would start researching how to care for a blind hen now I’m sure the care is different and I don’t personally have any experience in this. I hope your old girl will be ok!

Very possible it may just be from old age. Have you noticed she has had any trouble seeing before this sudden blindness? Like maybe only looking from one side or etc. I just don’t think there’s any additional issues unless you can physically see something wrong with her eyes like a cut. She is at an age where I don’t consider this weird but I would start researching how to care for a blind hen now I’m sure the care is different and I don’t personally have any experience in this. I hope your old girl will be ok!
Thank you. I didn’t notice anything prior to yesterday. She’s always been our “social butterfly” and her nickname is Dora the explorer, she’s either right with you when doing yard work hoping for some juicy bugs or off doing her thing and finding fun places to explore. This makes me sad, and I hope you are right that it is just old age.

Thank you. I didn’t notice anything prior to yesterday. She’s always been our “social butterfly” and her nickname is Dora the explorer, she’s either right with you when doing yard work hoping for some juicy bugs or off doing her thing and finding fun places to explore. This makes me sad, and I hope you are right that it is just old age.
Would you be willing to make her a partial indoor outdoor hen? It might even be nice to be close to her during this time she is an old girl and every moment counts. I follow a YouTube who currently has a partially blind goose who has a seeing eye duck. So a close companion animal to help guide her and so she can hear them clucking or walking around. But I honestly think the partial indoor could help you keep a good eye on her and provide her some human companionship. I have a disabled duck and I am right here with you, keeping old or disabled animals it’s quite a job it will take adjusting for both of you

Can you post some pictures, up close and in focus, of the eyes? Do you see any cloudiness, or graying of the pupils? Since it seems to be both eyes, it's less likely to be injury from pecking. See if she reacts to movement, see if the pupil reacts to light, use a small flashlight. If she is blind then she may need to be separated, she might be attacked by flock mates and could be injured badly. It's survival behavior to drive a sick or weak member out of the flock as they could attract a predator. Something to be aware of. She will need a smaller area where things don't move around so she can learn where food and water are (always are) so she can find it, likewise a safe place to sleep and shelter, she won't be able to see anything coming and will be at higher risk from any predator. Open feeders and waterers will be easier for her to hit. Ramps and ladders and roosts are going to be difficult or impossible for her so you will need to adapt her environment to her needs.
Article on some causes of blindness: https://www.cacklehatchery.com/why-a-chicken-goes-blind/

Would you be willing to make her a partial indoor outdoor hen? It might even be nice to be close to her during this time she is an old girl and every moment counts. I follow a YouTube who currently has a partially blind goose who has a seeing eye duck. So a close companion animal to help guide her and so she can hear them clucking or walking around. But I honestly think the partial indoor could help you keep a good eye on her and provide her some human companionship. I have a disabled duck and I am right here with you, keeping old or disabled animals it’s quite a job it will take adjusting for both of you
I thought about it. But I feel it would stress her out being in an unfamiliar place. And we just aren’t home enough. I only have three chickens now and she has been with them her entire life. They all seem to be getting along well still.

Can you post some pictures, up close and in focus, of the eyes? Do you see any cloudiness, or graying of the pupils? Since it seems to be both eyes, it's less likely to be injury from pecking. See if she reacts to movement, see if the pupil reacts to light, use a small flashlight. If she is blind then she may need to be separated, she might be attacked by flock mates and could be injured badly. It's survival behavior to drive a sick or weak member out of the flock as they could attract a predator. Something to be aware of. She will need a smaller area where things don't move around so she can learn where food and water are (always are) so she can find it, likewise a safe place to sleep and shelter, she won't be able to see anything coming and will be at higher risk from any predator. Open feeders and waterers will be easier for her to hit. Ramps and ladders and roosts are going to be difficult or impossible for her so you will need to adapt her environment to her needs.
Article on some causes of blindness: https://www.cacklehatchery.com/why-a-chicken-goes-blind/
Thank you for responding. I don’t have any pics right now could take some later. I can’t appreciate any cloudiness or greying. I’mucky enough that I work at a specialty vet. And just spoke with our ophthalmologist and she is going to do an eye exam on her tomorrow for me, so I’ll know more then. I only have three chickens right now and they’ve been together their whole lives, I know this means nothing in terms of behavior. As of right now everyone’s getting along, if I notice any issues I can separate her, I have a small coop/run built on to their large one. Atleast she won’t be completely alone if I do have to separate. She seems to be finding food and water fine, as they are always in the same place. She had some trouble the first day or two.

Glad you have an ophthalmologist that will see her. I have a cat that see's one, ours is awesome. Hope they can tell you what may be going on with her, best of luck.
So doctor says eyes are clear, everything looks healthy, lens are clear with no cataracts. We did take a blood pressure and it was elevated. Unsure if due to stress or truly high. Unfortunately today she has declined, I’m able to walk and lethargic. She was eating wonderfully yesterday, not positive she was drinking much. Today I’m struggling to get her to eat or drink. Any advice? I bought probiotics and electrolytes for her today.

I'm sorry she's not doing well. It's often not until necropsy that we know for sure what happened. I have an older hen that is starting to decline. I thought she might be having vision issues, but she's able to pick up scratch off the ground no problem. She just isn't moving around as much, losing weight. It's often hard to know. Even in hens that have not laid in quite a while due to age, reproductive problems can happen. Cancers, infections, etc. Organ failure is also possible. Do her droppings look normal? All you can do is try. I would alternate electrolites with plain, fresh water. You can also try nutri drench for a few days, that can sometimes give them a boost. If you lose her, I highly recommend necropsy, that way you will know for sure. It can give you peace of mind, it can provide useful information for you going forward. I know it can be an emotional decision, I look at it as the last gift they give me, teaching me something that may very well help me care for others in the future.

Back
Top Bottom