Maryland Poultry Swap & Farmer's Market October 1st 9-3 SHARPSBURG

I love chickens and love chicken people. I can sit and talk with a knowledgeable "old timer" for hours just absorbing it all. Two of the most important things I have learned over the years is:

#1 The more I learn, the less I know. There is infinite information out there and you could spend all of your time learning and still not know it all. It's best to sit back and take notes rather than stand tall and let it be known how little you really do know
smile.png

#2 The chicken world is incredibly small. My girlfriend is moving ot central VA and she met with her real estate agent last week and they were discussing keeping chickens. Her real estate agent mentioned this swap and my name and suggested she come here and chat with the breeders to learn more. Julie laughed and told her that I was her childhood friend from grade school.. what a small world. This kind of stuff happens all of the time. Everyone with chickens knows who else has chickens. My dad knows everyone within a 20 mile radius who has chickens
roll.png
He even remembers the ones who used to... more than 20 years ago
tongue.png

You have to maintain your reputation over a long period of time to gain any kind of respect in the fancy. Keeping just a few breeds whom you can work with well and having some years of knowledge under your belt is a good start

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Still looking? I guess they are tough to find. The only ones I've ever seen (besides hatcheries) were from Sylvia, and I don't think she breeds them anymore.

Tonya, I wish I had Calls for you. I did not hatch a single duckling all year! Dissapointing.

So Erin, I definitely plan on being at this one. I don't know if we'll have the quantity that we did earlier this year, but I'll still have plenty to sell. I'm selling a lot of my bantam Polish breeder birds from this year, and I have some young ones, too. I *might* have some LF white crested black Polish (was there someone upthread who mentioned wanting another pullet from me? I'll have to look. If I don't find your post, PM me). And I should have several very nice young Dutch pairs. I may also have some pet quality Tolbunts. And I will stress the PET part of that.
big_smile.png

Hey Erin, I saw a post upthread about folks liking a Facebook page...did you ever link to the Facebook page? Or am I just blind?
tongue.png
I guess I could go search on Facebook...

Quote:
Still looking? I guess they are tough to find. The only ones I've ever seen (besides hatcheries) were from Sylvia, and I don't think she breeds them anymore.

Tonya, I wish I had Calls for you. I did not hatch a single duckling all year! Dissapointing.

So Erin, I definitely plan on being at this one. I don't know if we'll have the quantity that we did earlier this year, but I'll still have plenty to sell. I'm selling a lot of my bantam Polish breeder birds from this year, and I have some young ones, too. I *might* have some LF white crested black Polish (was there someone upthread who mentioned wanting another pullet from me? I'll have to look. If I don't find your post, PM me). And I should have several very nice young Dutch pairs. I may also have some pet quality Tolbunts. And I will stress the PET part of that.
big_smile.png

That was me Crunchie that was looking for LF white crested black pullet .and interested in your Tolbunts.Sent you a PM
Karen

Quote:
Me!
big_smile.png
I have a lot of blue cream light browns right now, so that is mostly what I will be selling. I might have a light brown cockeral or two, and maybe some cream light brown pullets. I will probably be selling as pairs only. Many will be show quality, especially the blue cream light brown girls. They have all been very nice this year, and the only reason I am selling so many is because I hatched so many! I also have one cream light brown pullet that I might be bringing to re-home as a pet, so if anyone is interested let me know--she has a slightly crooked beak. It is mild and does not affect her health (and honestly, there are several factors that lead me to believe that it was an incubation issue), but obviously I would not recommend her for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom