Massive Feather Loss on Breast

GoBlueAmy

Hatching
May 21, 2015

Help! One of my girls suddenly has major feather loss. It looks plucked?! I haven't given her a thorough check in the last 3 days, but this stood out to me immediately upon seeing her this afternoon and looks very recent. (I didn't notice it yesterday when I let them out) Any ideas what it could be? I have 3 Buff Orps, all just over 6 months old. Plenty of room in their coop and run, and they free range a good portion of the day. Their coop is rather clean generally speaking and I can't seem to see any mites, etc. Any ideas what it could be? It's worst on her lower stomach area, and some on her thighs. I have seen a few posts talking about giardia. Could it be there? I feel badly for her! Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi there GoBlueAmy and Welcome to BYC!

Those look like pins feathers to me … I do believe she is moulting.

A lot of chickens start their moults on their head, neck and back but there is always an exception to the rule.

Be careful picking her up, when they are moulting they are very sensitive.

I recommend lots of TLC and extra protein to help with the feather regrowth.

BYC has a great article in the learning centre ‘Information on Molting Chickens’:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/what-happens-when-chickens-molt

If she loses lots more feathers, you may want to enter her in this competition
wink.png
:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-fall-winter-2015

Regards
Teila

Hey GoBlueAmy hhhm, yeah, 6 months might be a little early but I am leaning towards moult as she appears to have pin feathers and the skin does not look red or inflamed which can happen with feather pulling or mites etc.

Another option is that she could be feather pulling in preparation for going broody but with my broodys the feather pulling has been higher up the body, more towards the breast bone.

To me [I am definitely not an expert] it does not look like anything to be concerned about but hopefully someone with more experienced may chime in.

Back
Top Bottom