Massive feather loss

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. I've spent well over $200 at vets trying to figure this out.

This will be a long post, but this is serious.

One symptom of depluming mites that none of my birds have is fluid/crusting on skin around the base of the feathers. The fluid is what the mites feed on. Their skin is, if anything, very dry. The vet didn't find anything skin damage either except the (dry) inflamed areas. Several other birds started getting this as well, and Mary Lou, the one in the pictures was getting weak, spending most of her time sitting on the ground, walking slowly, etc, so I felt I needed to spend the money to find an answer. I even collected poop from three birds that had the symptoms (before Safeguard treatment) and took it immediately to the vet and had her do a fecal float and a SNAP Giardia test since Giardia is very common in the environment. Giardia are not passed at all times, which is why I took samples from three birds. The results were all negative, although she said, as I knew, that Giardia is difficult to find in tests. They had no suggestions, other then the usual, although the 2nd vet used a sticky slide on the bare areas and found nothing but bacteria which was probably from sitting in poop in their carrier while traveling to the vet.

Overcrowding: No, they live in a palace (150 ft2 for 12 birds NOT including nest boxes) with a huge, changing outdoor space)

Stress: It's been the same old, same old with the exception of one chicken leaving to be a mom to chicks kept far away from the older birds with separate feeders/waterers/care taken not to cross contaminate. Mom has never gotten this problem, so it can't be the chicks.

Internal parasites: They all had diarrhea so I treated with Safeguard as my research indicated that it's very difficult to overdose them, it's very safe for them, and research submitted for egg/meat withdrawal regulations in the European Union found that residue levels in eggs reached the levels deemed acceptable for other animal products after 7 days. It's not approved in the US, but there were 6 or 7 independent studies by researchers with these results in the application. In those studies they treated the birds for 3 days in a row and then tested residue levels each day presumable until they ran out of birds to kill and test. The diarrhea in my birds stopped immediately and egg production doubled back to normal levels by the end of three days. Fortunately our dogs love eggs! However, the diarrhea started up again in several of them, the ones losing feathers and egg production and shell quality plummeted again. So, more research convinced me to give them two or more treatments 10 days apart. I warned everyone there would be no eggs for at least a month, until I got the problem under control. I treated them with the Giardia dose this time (1.2 ml for 3 days, and then one dose 10 days later.) Diarrhea stopped, after the second dose and (fingers crossed), hasn't started again ten days later. Egg production and shell quality are totally back to normal. (Residues in eggs were no longer quantifiable after 8 days.)

Update: I looked up the link and found this document which states the recommended dose for all species is 1 mg/kg body weight for 5 days. In which case, I under medicated them as they are all about 5 lbs. Here are the links to the final ruling and the scientific research behind it: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB...sidue_Limits_-_Report/2013/01/WC500137339.pdf

External parasites: Like you, I checked and checked. I'm old and my eyes don't work well, so I got my daughter in there. We went in total darkness with a flashlight, leaned close up to the roost, and turned it one. She saw absolutely nothing. Tried another night and did the same things with the bodies of the birds. Nothing. Tried again in the nest boxes, again with other places in the coop. Nothing. I also concluded it might be some invisible mite, although I didn't find depluming mites in my research, so I really thank you for that lead. I found this article http://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/the-chickenvet-talks-about-depluming-mites which suggests using Ivermectin, and some rabbit articles prescribing revolution for dogs in appropriate tiny doses between the shoulder blades to kill skin mites. I have no information on withdrawal times yet, but it sounds like a wonderful preventive for external parasites. After treating our birds the second time we thoroughly cleaned the coop. Hauled all bedding out, scrubbed the floors, roost nesting boxes, walls, and sprayed thoroughly with permethrin (which is supposed to be safe), especially every crack in the walls. I went in a sprayed again about three days later while they were out for the afternoon.
Egg binding: No, she was still laying then. Now her vent is quite dry and tight, so I think she has stopped due to malnutrition.

I tried giving them a high protein diet for about 4 weeks, but they were losing feathers just as fast, and several started losing feathers near the end of that time. I've also closely observed them a several times of day (and night) watching for feather eating, pulling by some other bird, etc and seen nothing.

End result as of yesterday: several of the birds are growing feathers back. Even the worst affected (the one in the pictures) has several little feathers growing at the base of her tail feathers and her shoulder areas are getting fluffier, her vent is clean with little feathers regrowing (these could just be from the lack of diarrhea irritation). None of them have diarrhea right now. I don't know if it was the Safeguard or the cleaning of the coop. I'm keeping their waterers sterilized as well.

We took Mary Lou out of the coop and confined her to a carrier for about 36 hours feeding her a wet mash with added probiotics and vitamins when she was so weak. She really perked up and was standing up in her cage getting restless at the end of that time. We put her back with the rest and she has been holding her own, mostly. A few days ago, I noticed that the irritated, red area on her breast and keel were getting very red. I took her out and put an antibiotic ointment on the areas. While doing so, I found that the main redness on her breast area was right over her crop. Her crop was nearly empty and had only a hard mass of little bumpy seeds or cracked corn. I gently massaged the lump/area for about five minutes and it seemed to soften a little bit. She seemed to really like this...relaxed and went into a "zone".(And she's not a bird who likes to be handled.) I did this same procedure again that evening...I was very concerned that her crop was still empty except for the hard lump. I massaged again. The next day, the lump was entirely gone, but her crop was also entirely empty. I've been feeding her a wet mash after applying the ointment for the last two days. She eats a very large amount, very hungrily. Last night her crop was full and soft. We'll see how she is when I check her this morning. The inflamed areas of her skin seem to be calming down.

So, that's where things stand now. I'm still thinking Giardia, but I will investigate depluming mites some more. I'll try to get back here to update on progress. I hope you find something in these experiences to help your sick girl. I don't like using chemicals on them either, but after seeing Mary Lou go downhill like that, it was clear they might all eventually die if I didn't do something to try to get things under control. I really hated seeing them suffering, and I can't bring myself to "cull" them unless it becomes clear they are in misery and there is no hope.) I started with the safest treatment I could find, and I hope I don't need to go into more dangerous treatments. I figure that scientific research has given us alternatives to treat serious illnesses that don't respond to less intensive methods. Just like I avoid antibiotics until it's clear I'm not going to get better, and I'm really getting debilitated (or in agony with UTIs), I'm so glad they exist to help us survive these difficult infections.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Forgot something. I've been dusting them at night with permethrin based poultry dust.

Mary Lou, the naked chicken was in the nest box again today. She hasn't been in there for a week or two (or three? - between the garden and the chickens, time flies) and her vent had been dry like a chick's. I gave her half a bath today because she was becoming concerned about the stickiness of her feathers...dust sticking to them. Washed her underside and under her arms. Looking at the original pictures I posted, she has definitely been re-growing feathers. I'm not sure if it was the Safe Guard or housecleaning. I'm still feeding her wet mash three times a day. She is definitely not as hungry as a few days ago.

I will try to take pictures tomorrow and get them up here...

Last edited:
I now have another very strong and healthy hen losing feathers about a 1" strip right down her keel and under belly - a straight line. My girls definitely have the de-pluming mite. It is contracted from wild birds and I've got lots of those. I have my course of treatment mapped out as soon as I get some money this week to order the product. I will be using a sulpher lime dip on my little flock of 6 including my rooster... I will use the left over water to spray the coop after I clean out all the nest boxes and litter. Here's the link to what I'm going to purchase and I'm going to dip them all and then 7 days later dip them all again. I'll use the left over solution to spray the coop both times afterward as well. There are follow up products but for now, I'm concerned with getting them dipped. Here's the link: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Lime-Sulfur-Dip.html?sku=60650-275

Pictures of Mary Lou today. She's not wet, which makes direct comparison difficult. It was too windy today to give her a bath. I have included a picture of the damage on her "shoulders" which is characteristic of giardia. If you click on the picture you can see it in a larger format.

Shoulders and back
breast

base of tail. new feathers are near my finger

under wing and upper thigh

other wing

Lower abdomen and thighs
Mary Lou foraging in private after her grueling photo shoot.

Last edited:
Update:

I've been feeding Mary Lou the wet mash of layer feed with some powdered skim milk for the last two weeks. I let her eat her fill and then mix the rest with more wet layer feed and give it to the rest of the girls. When all of this started, her weight was around 5 1/2 pounds. At the time of my last post, her weight was down to 4 lb 5 oz. Three days ago, we weighed her and she was back up to 5 lbs, 4 oz.
yesss.gif

I also checked her bare areas three days ago. Her skin had started flaking off on her bare areas.
ep.gif
Big flakes. And it wasn't feather shafts. Many flakes were still slightly attached to her skin and there were no feathers in sight. Especially on the breast where it was so red. Yesterday I checked again and the flaking is gone, and the redness seems to be fading.

While I was researching flaking skin a couple days ago, I found suggestions of biotin deficiency. Peanuts (unsalted), almonds, liver, and oats are all good sources. Yesterday I fed her a mix of oats and finely chopped almonds before her mash. Today I will hold my nose and cook (outside, on the grill) the pork liver we got with our freezer hog and give them all a little bit of chopped liver. The dogs and cats will get some too.

UPDATE: The answer! Giardia.
My vet kept at it and did a fecal smear. She found it. Giardia. A protozoa. It is very common, especially when it's raining and they are getting muddy and drinking water off the ground in the run. An intermediate host is earthworms. I had already treated her for giardia by the time the vet finally reached me (our phone was out and I didn't realize it.) So far, there's no more diarrhea and Mary Lou is starting to look fluffy again. I think it will take until they molt, probably starting next month, before they are pretty again.

If you think yours have giardia, ask the vet to do a fecal float using zinc sulfate solution. The regular solution doesn't work as well. Also, a fecal smear works best with saline. Giardia isn't shed all the time. Traditional method is to test three days in a row. I collected samples from three of the girls with symptoms. Giardia deteriorates rapidly outside the host, so rush fresh samples to the vet.

Last edited:
See Kathy's post below.
New update. NEW DOSAGE INFO BELOW After several months of things staying at the status quo (no significant new feather growth, red areas on keel but eating and acting normally) she started to hunch up and look miserable. Took her out for a good look over and realized that her tail is nearly naked (just a few of the largest feathers sticking up, looking ragged). Her skin is bright red and inflamed. These are pictures I found on this website that are similar as I don't have a working camera right now.
. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/832842/inflamed-skin-any-ideas

No one else in the flock has this problem. I have been putting ointments on it for several days with no progress. I decided to re treat her for Giardia also. I came back here to see the dosage and realized that I may have given them way too much (although it didn't hurt any of them.... Fenbendazole is very safe....) I switched from paste to suspension. The suspension is 10% solution, or 100 mg/ml. So a 1 mg/kg bodyweight dose would be something like .001ml/kg bodyweight. Ooops. I realized this when I saw that a 25 pound goat would need 0.6 ml.
ep.gif
SOoo using my 1 ml medicine syringe, 0.1 ml would be 10 mg, so filling the syringe to that first tiny line on the syringe would be 1 mg fenbendazole.

Last edited:
New update. [COLOR=FF0000]NEW DOSAGE INFO[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]BELOW[/COLOR] After several months of things staying at the status quo (no significant new feather growth, red areas on keel but eating and acting normally) she started to hunch up and look miserable. Took her out for a good look over and realized that her tail is nearly naked (just a few of the largest feathers sticking up, looking ragged). Her skin is bright red and inflamed. These are pictures I found on this website that are similar as I don't have a working camera right now. . https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/832842/inflamed-skin-any-ideas No one else in the flock has this problem. I have been putting ointments on it for several days with no progress. I decided to re treat her for Giardia also. I came back here to see the dosage and realized that I may have given them way too much (although it didn't hurt any of them.... Fenbendazole is very safe....) I switched from paste to suspension. The suspension is 10% solution, or 100 mg/ml. So a 1 mg/kg bodyweight dose would be something like .001ml/kg bodyweight. Ooops. I realized this when I saw that a 25 pound goat would need 0.6 ml. :eek: SOoo using my 1 ml medicine syringe, 0.1 ml would be 10 mg, so filling the syringe to that first tiny line on the syringe would be 1 mg fenbendazole.
Goats only get 5mg/kg, chickens get way more. For capillary worms chickens get 50mg/kg for five days, that's 0.23ml per pound, and I suspect treatment for giardia is about the same. -Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom