Mating or fighting injury?

Birdnubie

Chirping
Jul 21, 2022
My white peahen has a very bloody neck today. Is this what happens during mating ? Or is she having a fight with the other peahen? She shares a pen with a white peacock and an Indian Blue peahen. They are all about a couple of weeks short of being 1 year old.

I have never kept peafowl before, but she does not look well to me. She has retreated away from the other two and is on her perch with wings down and eyes closed. Any insight on how I can help her would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    844.8 KB · Views: 14
It could be extremely aggresive mating. I'd think that if it was fighting then her face would be beat up. I'd keep an eye on how your rooster is around your other girls. It could also be bullying.

Paint it with Blu-Kote, the purple antibiotic for injuries. We use it for hiding blood so the other birds won't continue to pick at the wound. At one year of age it is not likely to be from breeding although that is the area the cock will hold onto. If it is from bullying the bird will try to get out of reach of the bully and they can be attacking that area. Supplying a hiding space is the second thing you should do. Put something against the wall the bird can hide under or remove her altogether.

Thank you for replying. I put some boards against the wall for the hens to hide under in case it is bullying. Unfortunately, I think it is most likely bullying now that I have read some other posts. Our new geese have been venturing close to the peafowl pen and the peacock frantically paces along the pen and sounds off. I read on this site that young peacocks will sometimes take out their frustration on the hens if they can’t chase off their “rivals”. I will also try to keep the geese out of that area.

Back
Top Bottom