Peahen limping for a leg injury

IndieandArial

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Hi. I brought home a Peahen yesterday for my Peacock and after letting her go in the run for the first time, she seems to have injured one of her legs. I think it happened during the initial panic of a new environment. She is walking in and out of her coop, climbing the ladder, flying to her perch and eating, but she has a limp. I'm not sure if I should seek medical advice or wait and see i it gets better on its own? I really don't want her to be in pain. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks 🦚

I have had peacocks limp several times and mostly they stop limping with time. Sometimes it's just a few days or it has been longer. I had one peacock become totally one legged last year. Her leg just dangled but I couldn't feel any breaks. She seemed fine otherwise so I just kept an eye on her. Eventually she started using the leg a bit and now you would never know she had ever had a problem! I have no idea what she did to it. I never expected a full recuperation like she had!

I have had peacocks limp several times and mostly they stop limping with time. Sometimes it's just a few days or it has been longer. I had one peacock become totally one legged last year. Her leg just dangled but I couldn't feel any breaks. She seemed fine otherwise so I just kept an eye on her. Eventually she started using the leg a bit and now you would never know she had ever had a problem! I have no idea what she did to it. I never expected a full recuperation like she had!
Thanks for sharing your experience, that makes me feel less worried about it. It's only been a couple of days and I'm keeping a close eye on her. Apart from the limp, she's a normal Pea.

Is she still limping? How long has it been now and is there any change at all? I would hope for some sign of improvement if it was a thing that would self resolve.

I'm wondering if she could have had the problem before you took her home? Did you get a good look at her walking around normally before you took her? And is she in her own pen or did you put her in with your peacock? It's a good idea to quarantine when you add new birds.

Have you been able to examine her leg and foot to find out where the issue is? I would check for bumblefoot and also for any swelling around the hock. If you are able to handle her, you could check to see if anywhere feels hot.

I'm afraid even the most experienced members (@KsKingBee have you seen this?) probably can't help much without more details or seeing her to be able to tell if it's a minor or a serious issue. Maybe you could add some photos or a video would be even better.

A video would be helpful. By the way you describe the injury I am hoping that it is a mild sprain probably caused while catching her for transport. As Waterfarey said more details and video would help us assess the situation.

Back
Top Bottom