Matted, frozen wood chips - too much moisture in the coop?

Ummm, couple issues I see here.

We use deep litter as well.

First, chicken poop is wet, when its cold, it freezes. But before it freezes, the liquid absorbs into the litter making it all wet. No amount of natural ventilation is going to stop your littler from turning into frozen blocks. When the sun hits it directly, even if temps are at -20, the litter will thaw and a bit of evaporation will occur. There is no getting around it, besides closing up your coop during the day, to keep the litter shaded and frozen.

I'm not saying to not ventilate, as you can almost never have too much, but it may not solve the issue at hand. You may still have moisture on the windows in the morning as the temps are going to rise from sunrise. What you need to do is go into the coop at about 3:30 AM and see if there is moisture then. If there is then you definitely need more ventilation. If there is not, you are seeing a brief period of thaw, as the sun rises and the birds stir and things naturally heat up, prior to letting them outside.

One thing we do to combat the wet litter is to add more to the bottom. It is heavier and tends to settle. By bringing it up first thing in the morning, the wind and sun will help dry and air it out. We rake the litter out from under the roosts, add fresh litter there and place the old on top to "off gas" during the day. We easily end up with 12" - 14" of litter in a three or four month period.

We have 24 birds in a 8x9 coop. I have cut extra holes into our coop, but before you make any additions, don't just blindly follow statements that you don't have enough ventilation, even though you probably don't. If you understand the problem, you will be better able to place the new ventilation so as to solve more than one problem. Without understanding the cause, source, and reason for the moisture, you may end up with a new hole, an old problem, and a husband who may be even less interested to help in the future.

I hope this does not sound harsh, it surely was not meant that way. Keep digging, the solution is just a little further...

I addressed this in this thread also --> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again/897

Last edited:
Well, the coop got some attention today. A couple of new vents on the south side, a partial clean out, a good airing out and some fresh new bedding. Thinks were not as bad as I thought - the top of the litter was crusty frozen, but where it hadn't been turned up yet was not frozen. I'm hopeful that the additional ventilation will help. A littler better attention to maintaining the litter will help, too. For the foreseeable future I think I'm done delegating that chore.

I feel as if I've had a "duh" moment after reading your reply Wyododge. We have opening windows, but they have remained closed since the weather got colder. Duh. If it's not precipitating we'll open up those windows!

I believe this to be somewhat normal if yuor talking about the poo be frozen.Why you might ask?Wet poo in a coop that is below freezing is likely to freeze because of the temp not moisture as would be the same with your water if it was in the below freezing coop.(just like putting water in a cooler with dry ice, its not the moisture content its the temp) Wind chills at my location the last couple days have been below zero and this has happened in my coop.All the while when temps are moderate this has never happened.My coop is well ventilated and always has been dry with no smells what so ever. And my ladies seem to be doing fine being all cooped up even with the temps and the foot of snow out in the run,hope to get out tomorrow and blow the snow out as the weather is supposed to break.

Back
Top Bottom