Tree service wood chips for deep litter method inside coop?

becstalls

Crowing
13 Years
May 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
While we are rehabbing our old coop in prep for spring, I thought I’d reach out to a local tree service to see if they had any wood chips to use as litter inside the coop. When I told hubby about the idea, he rejected it on the grounds that wood chips from a tree service would still be too wet/fresh and wouldn’t absorb moisture well compared to pine shavings. But I’ve seen a few folks claim tree service chips were ideal, except that it wasn’t clear to me whether they were talking about them for inside the coop or out in the run. I’d love to know if there’s an official consensus on this because I’ll take free tree service chips all day over stuff we need to buy. Thoughts?

on the grounds that wood chips from a tree service would still be too wet/fresh and wouldn’t absorb moisture well compared to pine shavings.
It's certainly possible.
Freshly chipped tree branches, especially if cut when full of green leaves, can certainly be very 'wet'.
Most of who use wood chippings let them sit to dry out a bit before using(even outside) due to the possibility of mold/fungus blooming to toxic levels.

To use them inside a coop has may variables to consider, other than freshness of chippings, including climate, ventilation of coop, etc.

I use chips inside the coop and out in the run, but my chip pile has been aging a very long time at this point.

That said, I do not do deep litter or deep bedding inside the coop. Chips make up the majority of the coop litter but I use hemp under the roost for easier scooping. The chickens don't poop much in the rest of the coop so the chips are just there for a dry, clean padding. Because it doesn't get soiled I only clean out once a year.

Tree service chips in the uncovered run, not covered run. you add to it about every 3 or 4 months and dig it out every two or three years.
My grade school buddy owns a tree and landscape business. I go get what i want. I use Day old chips, month old chips , ten year old chips, Hard wood and pine so i don't have to stay at a Holiday inn on this one.
If i use the bobcat skid steer and scrape the run clean to redo it after a few years, I go back 8" deep with 5-10 year old chips and cap it with 5-7" of month old chips. If i need just to add some chips to it, fresh chips are fine. Just don't go deeper than 4" with day old chips . At 4" inches deep they will dry out in a week or so. You can get the tree service to dump his chipper truck next to your uncovered run and add them a few inches deep at the time. Now my covered run i use pine shaving and rotate them once a month from the nest boxes to the floor under the poop baord, under the poop board to the front of the covered run, from the front of the run to the compost pile.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    904.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    852.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2023 (2).jpg
    IMG_2023 (2).jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    865.9 KB · Views: 23
Tree service chips in the uncovered run, not covered run. you add to it about every 3 or 4 months and dig it out every two or three years.
My grade school buddy owns a tree and landscape business. I go get what i want. I use Day old chips, month old chips , ten year old chips, Hard wood and pine so i don't have to stay at a Holiday inn on this one.
If i use the bobcat skid steer and scrape the run clean to redo it after a few years, I go back 8" deep with 5-10 year old chips and cap it with 5-7" of month old chips. If i need just to add some chips to it, fresh chips are fine. Just don't go deeper than 4" with day old chips . At 4" inches deep they will dry out in a week or so. You can get the tree service to dump his chipper truck next to your uncovered run and add them a few inches deep at the time. Now my covered run i use pine shaving and rotate them once a month from the nest boxes to the floor under the poop baord, under the poop board to the front of the covered run, from the front of the run to the compost pile.
I'm jealous. That's going to be such awesome compost 🤤

Back
Top Bottom