May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

New to backyard farming! Just got 4 baby Cayugas!
20200511_133652.jpg
20200511_135238.jpg

That’s interesting! What humidity are you running at?
25% right now it goes anywhere from 19% to 25%. Once external pips happen it goes up 10% on its own. I’ve never added water unless I’m doing ducks and I do just a bit and that’s more to keep the bottom of my incubator clean. Ducks are messy when hatching.

25% right now it goes anywhere from 19% to 25%. Once external pips happen it goes up 10% on its own. I’ve never added water unless I’m doing ducks and I do just a bit and that’s more to keep the bottom of my incubator clean. Ducks are messy when hatching.
Wow! That’s dry hatching taken to the extreme!!! You don’t have shrink wrapping when hatching at that low humidity? Well, one of the hypotheses I’ve read about marans eggs is that the bloom doesn’t let enough water evaporate during incubation. If so, your ultimate dry incubation method could help to counter that issue...

Wow! That’s dry hatching taken to the extreme!!! You don’t have shrink wrapping when hatching at that low humidity? Well, one of the hypotheses I’ve read about marans eggs is that the bloom doesn’t let enough water evaporate during incubation. If so, your ultimate dry incubation method could help to counter that issue...
Hmmmm interesting.

The reason why I hatch like this is because with my first incubation, I had a lot of dead in shell chicks. Someone on here told me to not add any water at all and wait. I did and 90% hatched. Ever since I haven’t added any water at all.So far it has worked with quail, chickens, and ducks.

I’m addicted to quail now. I even traded my ducks so I can continue with quail and chickens. Ducks just aren’t my thing unless they are muscovies.

Ive never experienced shrink wrapping with my humidity. Most chicks I’ve never assisted and they hatch perfectly. I just had 24 of 25 quail hatch perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom