MAY HATCH-A-LONG come join in

I had a chick (under a hen, not in an incubator) that pipped on Sunday morning (day 20) then hatched that night. The hen still has 2 eggs that have movement in them but not pipped yet, and it's now day 22. I candled them yesterday. One is VERY lively, the other is moving too, but I think I could still see blood vessels in both of them. Two more eggs were clear so I threw them out. These eggs were in the refrigerator for at least a week before I gave them to the hen--I wonder if that's why the 2 are late? Also starting to wonder if they'll hatch at all.
hmm.png
The one that already hatched is doing great.

I set 41 more eggs last night at 5.:30PM. This will be my third hatch hopefully it will be a good one. I put in 19 jersey giants, 4 orps,7cochins,11 leghorns. These are from my own birds I am picking up 18 more eggs at a swap later this month. I am afraid its already too hot here to send eggs in the mail its suppsed to be in the 90's all week.

Today is day 21! Checked the eggs this morning and it was very quiet! Is this normal?
very first time hatching..the waiting is killing me! Hope the chicks are fine, candled them last week and they were fine, moving.

Quote:
I might throw in a sponge normally it gets up to 65% just takes awhile I lock down a bit early so I can adjust for conditions because once they start hatching it stays good but thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
I am right there with you. This is my first. I even put my ear to the bottom of the nesting box. Not even a bump. Although I could hear the mom's heart beating. That was kinda cool. I waited for her to get up and nothing looks to be doing much.
fl.gif
. Having a hard time consentrating at work
smile.png

Quote:
I am right there with you. This is my first. I even put my ear to the bottom of the nesting box. Not even a bump. Although I could hear the mom's heart beating. That was kinda cool. I waited for her to get up and nothing looks to be doing much.
fl.gif
. Having a hard time consentrating at work
smile.png

Me too!
I took an old stetoscope and put it around the incubator to try to listen to any noise, but nothing!! can't wait to get home and see if there is anything going on!

Still haven't checked my eggs to see what happened, but will in a couple of hours.

I have about a dozen going into lockdown tonight, so I hope whatever happened didn't happen to all of them.

I see development in some of my eggs from my flock though
wee.gif
They're due on June 1st.

I have several Games and EExBR eggs in there. Still have some to set, but I'm seriously thinking of listing them on here and see if someone nearby wants to hatch them out. Hope someone wants free eggs.

I'm going to get this Sportsman working and work on a couple of the hatchers I'm making and try a bigger hatch next month. Going to be replacing these Polish
hit.gif
and get more BCMs and hopefully some Welsummers. Hope I can find decent stock with what I can afford right now.

I wish I knew what went wrong this hatch. Just not normal. My smallest hatch wes 50% on my shipped BCMs, but not bad for shipped and Sebrightmom is a packing magician! Where that I had less problems with BCMs than Polish!??

Like I said it was a bad month. My mom passed away April 22nd and I was going to pour myself into hatching, so ordered more eggs, then on my way home from the funeral I found out my dad was very ill. He passed away on May 1st. Ended up having to drive to Oklahoma for a second funeral.

I had someone here while we were gone, just waiting for my shipped eggs and feeding the birds and dogs. One box of eggs was held at the PO. Thing is I had picked up another box the same day that one should have been delivered and they only gave me 1. The other sat for a week while I was gone!
somad.gif
That's never happened before and I hope some develop, but haven't seen more than a few veins, so may have to replace those too. Can't afford it, but I'm doing it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom