May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Welcome to the world nugget..
clap.gif

HI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE OES IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Well some of you from the April Hatch thread know that we had a pretty bad time of it. No chicks and slow cooked scrambled egg!!!!
ep.gif
We even thought I might end up with LIZARDS because we simply had no idea what the eggs were that turned up as they were Blue and the ordered eggs should have been white.

Well guys the incubator is wiped down and ready to roll and something wonderful happened this morning. NO eggs have been ordered from anywhere and yet in the post this very morning a box arrived and DH and I thought my that looks like badly packed eggs!!!!! We opended the tape that read fragile and there inside were six - YES 6 very lovely looking little WHITE EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are now on my dinning room table and so we will candle them to see if anything has a blood ring or looks damaged before we pop them into the BATOR - OMG can you believe that we got eggs and didn;t even complain to anyone about the last batch or even order new ones? I hope these were not the original ones lost in the post for 4 weeks????? Ummmmmm
hmm.png

They are however WHITE not BLUE and none were scrambled in the box this time!

wee.gif
OES is happy!!!!! Maybe they are albino LIZARD EGGS???????? OMG I still have no idea what I am hatching!
hi oes, the only think you can see before you incubate them is if the aircell is small and intact.. if they are not on top. let the eggs set a day or two.. then put then in the bator. and some dont turn for 7 days.. if the aircells look good.. then proceed as usual..
maybe the people that were suppose to get the blue eggs complain and the people figured out what they sent you.
anyways Good Luck.. with this hatch.
Don't give up............mine were in lockdown when I was put in the hospital..
thought they were toast and 9 hatched days 23 and 24.....................
I have had temp drops before and still managed to have chicks............
Really hope things go well for you....................
hugs.gif

Also, this is just my experience...................sometimes I do not see movement right before hatch.
I know others say they do........but I wonder if sometimes they are resting for the big egg break.
I am on day 23 today and still going strong.. i agree give atleast 26 days..

I have 23 left that will go in to lockdown on Monday.

Black Tailed Buff Marans, Blue Laced Rock Project , a few Choco/Mauve Project, a few Painted White Plume Project, and Cuckoo Marans.

At least half a dozen of those are looking pretty iffy, but I will lock them down anyway and keep my sniffer on them.

This time around, since the last 2 hatches only hatched a total of 12 (10 lived) out of 80 eggs, my DH has installed a fan onto my LG Still Air. I started that up today, so I can tweak it before Monday. I also plan on locking them down IN egg cartons. Have read of people having better results with shipped eggs using this method. In fact, the eggs I will set tomorrow I am going to use egg cartons the entire time, as a few shipments came in pretty scrambled. I am also committed to not intervening unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, as the two I helped in the last batch did not survive more than a few hours.

The ones being set tomorrow, should hatch May 23. Swedish Flower Hens, Lemon Cuckoo Orps, Blue Orps, and Blue Splash Wheaten Ameraucanas. DH is installing a fan onto that LG incubator also. I am not going to turn them for the first seven days to see if this helps at all, too.

After the May 23rd Hatch I am taking a break. Four hatches pretty much back to back using an LG is too stressful for this gal. Think I'll wait to see how many turn out to be roos before trying again, too. Building a much bigger Coop #2.

My previous 2 hatches the last month have yielded:
3 Silver Penciled Rocks, 1 Black Orp, 1 Mottled Houdan, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Blue or Splash Cochin, and 2 Buff Rocks (I think.)

I have hatched 2 bunches now using egg cartons. They did excellant. I am hatching shipped eggs also and did the no turning for 3 days. I have an auto turner. It technically doesnt turn, just rocks from side to side. Must easier on the shipped eggs. Those aircells take a lot of damage in shipment. I dont care how careful they pack the eggs!

I have hatched 2 bunches now using egg cartons. They did excellant. I am hatching shipped eggs also and did the no turning for 3 days. I have an auto turner. It technically doesnt turn, just rocks from side to side. Must easier on the shipped eggs. Those aircells take a lot of damage in shipment. I dont care how careful they pack the eggs!
Good to know. The ones due for lockdown on Monday are coming off the turner, going into the egg cartons, and into the hatcher tonight. But without the increase in humidity until Monday. I have read with fragile air cells that it is good to stop turning the last seven days, so I am going to try that this time, too.

I don't open my Baylor and I don't have a turner but I place a box under one side then switch it up to the other side. This way less heat escapes. I like it a lot better .
Melinda

I don't open my Baylor and I don't have a turner but I place a box under one side then switch it up to the other side. This way less heat escapes. I like it a lot better .
Melinda
Yes, that is sort of what I have in mind for the last couple of days before official lockdown. Easier and more gentle than hand-turning. I may do that from now on in the bator without the turner.

I cracked open 3 last night that had obvious blood rings and blood clot/spots. All 3 were dead, but almost 100% ready :(

Then a few minutes ago my cat started spazzing out to get in the bedroom, and I heard chirping. I thought maybe a bird was in the house (my house is currently torn to pieces because of the flood and storms) but I walked in and one of my Marans is hatching!!! If none else hatch then I'll pick up a friend for him but after such a horrid week, this really made me smile :)

HI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE OES IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Well some of you from the April Hatch thread know that we had a pretty bad time of it. No chicks and slow cooked scrambled egg!!!!
ep.gif
We even thought I might end up with LIZARDS because we simply had no idea what the eggs were that turned up as they were Blue and the ordered eggs should have been white.

Well guys the incubator is wiped down and ready to roll and something wonderful happened this morning. NO eggs have been ordered from anywhere and yet in the post this very morning a box arrived and DH and I thought my that looks like badly packed eggs!!!!! We opended the tape that read fragile and there inside were six - YES 6 very lovely looking little WHITE EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are now on my dinning room table and so we will candle them to see if anything has a blood ring or looks damaged before we pop them into the BATOR - OMG can you believe that we got eggs and didn;t even complain to anyone about the last batch or even order new ones? I hope these were not the original ones lost in the post for 4 weeks????? Ummmmmm
hmm.png

They are however WHITE not BLUE and none were scrambled in the box this time!

wee.gif
OES is happy!!!!! Maybe they are albino LIZARD EGGS???????? OMG I still have no idea what I am hatching!

Is there a return address? Can you tell where they shipped from and when they shipped? I know you are in Ireland, in the US all that information would be on the package! Either way, hope something hatches for you!!!!

I cracked open 3 last night that had obvious blood rings and blood clot/spots. All 3 were dead, but almost 100% ready
sad.png

Then a few minutes ago my cat started spazzing out to get in the bedroom, and I heard chirping. I thought maybe a bird was in the house (my house is currently torn to pieces because of the flood and storms) but I walked in and one of my Marans is hatching!!! If none else hatch then I'll pick up a friend for him but after such a horrid week, this really made me smile
smile.png
Super terrific!

Back
Top Bottom