May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

I think Mel will turn this chick into a spoiled lil kid lol
I think you're right.... I want as many as possible to grow up outside in natural surroundings so I'm not going to bring any extra chicks inside. I have an egg due to hatch in two days, so I'm hoping that'll keep him company. Until then it stays in my shirt - I even slept with him in my bra tonight! I know, there has to be a diagnosis for this...
lau.gif

I took the plunge and bought 10 local French Black Copper Marans plus a few she called Americauna/Blue Amerilusions. I've never heard of Amerilusions before but one egg is blue, one is a very olive green and 2 are average green like my Easter Eggers lay.

I added them 2 days after my first eggs but I think they'll be alright. I'm so so excited, I've wanted these for a long time and never thought I'd find them in driving distance!

I'm going to focus on raising the Welsummers and French Black Copper Marans from now on, they are both beautiful and the eggs from the FBCMs are my favorite! :)

Beautiful... Loving the colors!

Thank you Friar,A photographer told me one time using blue as a background gave you good pictures,can't remember why.lol We use these folders for when we do our income tax.I was in a bit of a hurry,didn't want to stress them out too much and just reached in the box and picked these three up and plunked them down. I must admit they are pretty cute :) When they first started to hatch I could tell you which ones were which but now I can't......I have 4 buff orpingtons and the rest are from our feed store brand and a couple I hatched 2 years ago and their daddy is a Australorp.......that line from the Forest Gump movie comes to mind about life being a box of chocolates and you don't know what you're going to get.lol Makes for an interesting hatch
smile.png

I was thinking the same thing, but they came too fast, and then broke into a game of kickball with the remaining eggs.
Looking at these mixed birds brings back a flood of memories.
My father was a hard working man, working long hours to provide for us all. Because of his long work, it seems we had very little time together.
But each year he would order a chick mixture from Murry McMurray, and him and I would spend hours just sitting in the chicken coop, side by side on a couple old chairs, with the chicks at our feet, trying to guess what each one would turn out to be. Funny how a rag tag band of chicks can evoke such wonderful feelings!
Jim

Sounds like you have some wonderful memories!

Hahaha you a funny guy! Can't sleep tonight, everyone else here is snoring, I am on a hatch a holics page on Facebook......LOL
. Ha haaaa that's to funny I can't get to much time on the computer to check out the hatchaholics fb page my wife is a diamond dash aholic lol but me and my iPhone want updates as soon as they are available lol my bators are stable this morning added a few straws of water to the hova humidity at 26% not bad but a lil low for my liking I have 9 due any day under broody # 1 so I think you and yours are up next jm lol I'll be prowling the thread at work Go Chickies !!!!

<~~ Want to join in.
big_smile.png

My speckled Sussex hen decided to go broody just about 24hrs after I came home with 3 chicks from a swap meet. The week old chicks are in the brooder/tractor - the hen & eggs (3) are in the coop's nest box. This is all new to me and I'm trying to decide if I should move Sola (the hen) to the tractor and see if she will raise the chicks? Or just let her be until she hatches (
fl.gif
) and THEN move her and the chicks to the tractor... but then the chicks who are in there will be about 5 weeks old... ?
Help?

. Ha haaaa that's to funny I can't get to much time on the computer to check out the hatchaholics fb page my wife is a diamond dash aholic lol but me and my iPhone want updates as soon as they are available lol my bators are stable this morning added a few straws of water to the hova humidity at 26% not bad but a lil low for my liking I have 9 due any day under broody # 1 so I think you and yours are up next jm lol I'll be prowling the thread at work Go Chickies !!!!

Ok so there is this snobby snooty lady on the hatch a holics page, she REFUSES to sell any hatching eggs to people who hatch in styrofoam incubators! Who died and left her hatch queen???? I was very shocked as I have known her for quite some time on many different sites and threads. She raises Tolbunts, and has told me she would be voicing her opinion to all Tolbunt sellers she knows. That these birds were too rare to let eggs go to waste and not hatch because they were placed into inferior incubators!!! I quit smoking 3 weeks ago today, and last night I got so upset I really wanted to smoke, but I didnt
tongue.png

Oh gosh I need to go check my bator....its styrofoam and I dont want it to kill my chicks! I now want to get a fabulous hatch just so I can show her!

Back
Top Bottom