May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Thanks for asking. It's not doing much better. I think you might be right about it being paralyzed. I don't think it has any feeing in its lower legs or feet. I'm going to wait a bit longer but I doubt it's going to improve

I am feeling really negative now. I am new to the incubating thing but I've found it enjoyable. I had only incubated my own backyard chickens and had pretty good hatches. I didn't want shipped eggs because I didn't want to get a low hatch so I searched for days to find someone local with the eggs I wanted. I drove to pick them up and out of 12 only the 4 developed. 2 quit early on and 2 made it to lockdown only this one hatched and now we will probably need to cull it. I asked when I picked the eggs up if they were fresh and she assured me they were. When I got home I noticed one egg had a date written on it which was 10 days prior to me picking them up. I thought maybe that was the oldest egg but after the disaster hatch I think they might've been older then that before I got them. 1 even had a detached air cell when I got it home so I'm assuming it was old. I did get eggs shipped after only 4 developed so I have 7 out of 15 still in the incubator due to hatch next Tuesday.

Definitely sounds like you got an awful batch of eggs! I feel bad for you. Try not to let one bad batch get you down for too long, although it is hard when so much time and energy goes into a hatch! I am pretty nervous myself... My first effort at incubation (after I lost my first set of hatching eggs under a broody), and they are shipped eggs. I am a veterinarian, so I know a lot about the medical side, but they sure didn't teach us incubation and hatching in school! I already lost 50% of them, which I expected, but all had detached air cells, so even if they make it to lockdown I am worried about the hatch. Just have to wait and see! 10 more days to go....

I have a pip and it's just the beginning of day 20

I have a pip and it's just the beginning of day 20
Way to go! This is the hardest time, being patient while waiting for them to work their way out. I know it sounds bad, but I try to be gone for day 19-21. It save me the temptation to get more involved than I should
lol.png

Jim

I am sorry I have not been on all the time - it is just I am up to my eyes with hospital appointments etc, Most of you know by now my house is mad!

Anyhow I feel bad that I don;t have the time to read up on everyone elses hatchings right now. We are for lockdown - Now just to run through

Humidity should be 65 and the Temp still around 99.5-102???
Well my temps keep peeking to 102 then dropping again mostly hovering about the 100 mark. I am hoping for chicks sooo much this time round.
I did the same as last time candled and there was dark in half the egg but I couldn;t see any veins. It is hard to look when you are locked in a closet on one leg trying to hold a torch in one hand and an egg int he other while being attacked by all manor of coats and other object! SOme I swear were moving and furry! ( Not chicks!)

This is day 18 for us so day 21 is Friday.

Should have the hatch done and dusted by Monday I hope!

Oes

Saw the news - do hope all are ok what with the twister! Terrible about the children so sad
hit.gif
- hope all from BYC are safe!
hugs.gif
Thinking of you all at this time from far away!

So I lost my Lil guy with the shell butt... Never made it through the night... The other cone stuck in the egg is chirping but is also really stuck in the shell. I've added the wet paper towel around the shell twice. I don't know what more I can do except start taking the shell off myself. Sad... Melinda

Prayers going out to OK... Such devastation .

Back
Top Bottom