may need to go somewhere else but need answers to some genetics questions

maransfan16

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2012
southwest kentucky
if i need to go somewhere else i will but i am working on a project by crossing standard buff brahmas and golden comets i have raised one pullet to maturity and i don't see how i got this leg color. like i said the cross is a brahma rooster and a gold comet hen both of course have yellow legs but somehow this hen has emerald green legs. i know it was the buff brahma roo because of her comb as he is my only bird without a single comb and hers is sort of a combo between the two types. and she is marked up like a golden comet as well. i only have one bird with the same color legs as her and it is an EE hen and i know it isn't the mother because i didn't hatch any green eggs in the batch this pullet is out of if someone can help i would appreciate it and if needed i will take pics of the pullet and her parents if it helps

Pictures would help
big_smile.png

snapped these for another reason a few weeks ago i will have to take pics of her legs in the morning obviously you can identify the dad. the hen i am posting is one of the four i had at the time they are all practicly identical the last two pics are of the hen in question you can see her legs but not well

What other breeds of hens do you have? The fact that she's colored like a rsl doesn't necessarily mean her mother was one, that buff rooster is going to throw gold/orange chicks.

well the batch of eggs she came out of were all brown and a few white eggs and to the best of my memory only one of them hatched and my only white egg layers are a houdan hen and a fayoumi hen so that is why i don't believe it was one of those and then the only brown egg layers i have are six or seven french black copper marans hens and the golden comets. now at the time i did have a silver campine rooster but his legs are slate colored. and then there are the feathered legs and the brahma and marans are the only ones i have with feathered legs

Last edited:
here are pics of her legs hope they work also i added an up close shot of her comb to show you what i meant there also the black hen i believe is a brahma marans she has the same comb type as the one i am asking about but i don't know yet guess egg color wil help i have her seperated so i can see what she lays

Back
Top Bottom