Maynard, Mass Bylaws anyone?

snowhorse

Pantry Brook Farm
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
MA
Hi I live in Maynard, Massachusetts.

I currently have chickens at my parents house in Sudbury, and I would like to keep some at my house. However I have not seen any in my town, which is all of 5 square miles. Its pretty rural.

Does anyone know the bylaws here, or know of how to get a hold of them?

Thanks for any help!

I checked online for bylaws and this is what it stated:

Section 18: It is unlawful to keep any domestic farm animals defined as goats, sheep, pigs or cows on any Residential property less than one acre in size.

So I called the Town Clerk, she said if it doesn't specifically say chickens then I should be fine, but to check with the Board of Health

So I talked to the Board of Health and they said the same thing but to check with the Animal Inspector...

So I left a message with the Animal Inspector haha, hope to hear back soon!

Please take the time to write down the names, position, time and date you speak with these public officials. Just incase. Good luck!

For anyone in Maynard.

I spoke with the Animal Inspector:

Maynard has no Bylaws against chickens, but he has to come approve of the area you are keeping them.

He has to come to my house and inspect where I plan on keeping them. They are not allowed to free range, and you have to have them in enclosed coop, they can have an outdoor run but it has to have a cover.

You can have a Rooster where there is no bylaws, but he warned agaisnt it with the risk of getting a noise complaint.

And he didn't say there was a limit on how many I can have, but Im assuming he would tell me that depending on where I am and the space I have.

So its basically a case by case basis with no formal bylaws.

Quote:
If I were in your position, I would ask to see the provision in the bylaws or town charter that grant the inspect/approve power to the "animal inspector." Not to make trouble, but so you know what your rights are, and that you are not being subject to one person's arbitrary decisions.

Quote:
If I were in your position, I would ask to see the provision in the bylaws or town charter that grant the inspect/approve power to the "animal inspector." Not to make trouble, but so you know what your rights are, and that you are not being subject to one person's arbitrary decisions.

Indeed.... if, as he tells you there are no bylaws, they everything (including his need to approve) is purely made up by him.

I did a little more research on this. It looks like the position of animal inspector was created by state law, with the express purpose of controlling disease. Some references cite rabies control as a prime function. Framingham's website describes this a little. You can do an online search of Massachusett's General laws to seek more information.

What troubles me most is the municipal inspector's duty to maintain a census of farm animals that i think was mentioned on the Framingham site.

What has been your experience with the animal inspector in Sudbury?

I have all my chickens in Sudbury, MA. And did not have an animal inspector come out. We also have horses, goats, dogs, cats you name it. I did not know that Massachusetts had such laws for an inspector in general.

But where I keep them now, is very secluded, we have no neighbors and no one can see where they are. We are about a half mile off the road. Sudbury actually has a law against Roosters but I have 3, as long as no one is complaining I'm not worried. I know someone else with chickens, Roos included in Sudbury and its not enforced unless a neighbor complains.

As far as Maynard is concerned, the Animal Inspector is a retired police officer that the entire town knows. My town is literally 5 square miles, so everyone knows everyone here.

So other than him I wasn't familiar with animal inspectors in general.

I'm in Carlisle. We did not have an inspector come out before we built the coop. We do have a yearly inspection though, to make sure there is adequate housing and the birds appear to be disease free. All animal housing - cows, pigs, goats, sheep and poultry - is inspected in the fall.

-Cindy

Back
Top Bottom