I keep my beetles on rolled oats so the eggs can drop through the screened bottom without all the bedding sifting down. Mill run can be in the tray that the eggs are sifting into.

I use the mill run or wheat middlings only for worms that I will be feeding out to the chickens since it grows them half again as large as normal. However, mill run is so rich in protein that the larvae keep growing and by the time they pupate, which few do, they've run out of time and energy for the pupae to reach adulthood. Therefore, I cannot recommend mill run for beetle bedding or bedding where you expect to be keeping pupae that you wish to morph into beetles.

I keep my beetles on rolled oats so the eggs can drop through the screened bottom without all the bedding sifting down. Mill run can be in the tray that the eggs are sifting into.

I use the mill run or wheat middlings only for worms that I will be feeding out to the chickens since it grows them half again as large as normal. However, mill run is so rich in protein that the larvae keep growing and by the time they pupate, which few do, they've run out of time and energy for the pupae to reach adulthood. Therefore, I cannot recommend mill run for beetle bedding or bedding where you expect to be keeping pupae that you wish to morph into beetles.

Right now, I just have a aquarium with wheat bran and it's at the beetle stage now (I don't separate stages). I was thinking of using the other aquarium with a middlings base and put some of the beetles in there. Let them lay some eggs and then wait for the mealworms. Once all the worms are used, repeat the process with more beetles from the original tank.

Does that sound like it will work?

Let's see if I can explain it more clearly.

If you want larvae (meal worms) to turn into beetles, you can't raise them in mill run or middlings. It stimulates continued growth due to natural hormones, and they run out of life energy before they can turn into pupae, the next stage right before they turn into adult beetles.

The only thing mill run is good for (or middlings) is to grow large meal worms for feeding to your chickens.

If you put beetles into an aquarium of middlings or mill run, they will lay eggs and hatch, but the worms will just keep growing and won't turn into pupae to produce more beetles. Your colony will not perpetuate itself on mill run.

Let's see if I can explain it more clearly.

If you want larvae (meal worms) to turn into beetles, you can't raise them in mill run or middlings. It stimulates continued growth due to natural hormones, and they run out of life energy before they can turn into pupae, the next stage right before they turn into adult beetles.

The only thing mill run is good for (or middlings) is to grow large meal worms for feeding to your chickens.

If you put beetles into an aquarium of middlings or mill run, they will lay eggs and hatch, but the worms will just keep growing and won't turn into pupae to produce more beetles. Your colony will not perpetuate itself on mill run.

Understood, that is why I have two aquariums. One with bran for the perpetual cycle and another with millings for a large worm single cycle. Not sure if that is the best way to do it.

Regardless, I checked a few feed stores and they didn't have meddlings. Doesn't seem to easy to find in a city of four million. :idunno Maybe it's a regional thing.

Yes, you're on the right track, then. Mill run or middlings are used for cattle feed and horse feed. It would be a rural thing. Next time you're up for a drive to the countryside, find a feed store in a small town and bring back a couple bags. I pay $10 for 50 pounds.

You can get it at the feed store or order it. It's the by-product in milling wheat to make couscous, if you've ever eaten that. Mill run is high in protein and makes a terrific animal feed.

Back
Top Bottom