Mealworms and other treats

Mikejr05

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2016
Idaho
Hi everyone just getting ready for new chicks next week. I know that after a couple of weeks I can give them treats, one question I have is this: Has anyone bought the mealworms from petsmart or other pet stores, or are you just buying them online? As always thank you for everyones help.

Haha thank you! And, I have purchased the dried mealworms from my local TSC. My chickens weren't all that crazy with them. My adults and chicks both did not care for them. Then again, my adult birds are free range so they are used to the live bugs that they catch. I would recommend live.

No problem! If you still want to try them, I'd recommend the smallest bag to try. I have found a mealworm brick before. It's dried mealworms, molasses and some seeds in it. My chicks seemed to enjoy picking at that. Only, I do not remember the name of it. Only that I got it from TSC and that it looked cool, so I got it.
lol.png

I purchased live small mealwoms from Petsmart and the chicks LOVED them. I recently got a large order from Rainbow so I can raise my own since it seems like they will be a favorite treat. I also bought 1/4" crickets and those were a hit. Recently tried waxworms...one of the chicks jumped into my lap!

Ha I do that down the candy isle all the time. I don't have a TSC close I have a source for live mealworms I think I will get a few from them and see if I can get a few dried ones as well and just see what they like best.

@Jensownzoo Thank you, Live seems to be what is most recommended. And I will note do not try the waxworms
wink.png

My chicks/chickens(past) loved the freeze dried mealworms; Amazon most reasonable for here in Hawaii; but lately this batch of chickens seem to be loosing interest. They grub the yard & get veggie scraps, possibly getting spoiled :) Love the freeze dried mealworms for training when they were young but then I tried live ones from the pet store. They went CRAZY!

So as I've done in the past, started a Mealworm Farm (learned from BYC) when I got these chicks (late Oct '15). Just the other day I noticed the tiny baby mealworms squirming about. Production has started, it will be another month or so before I can start feeding the MW to the chickens.

I've also read about FF on BYC, I love it! Little more work but no feed waste, poop firmer & less stinky plus a lot less, less water consumption due to the wet feed & they like it. The feed's 'broken down' some so they get more nutrients, I've read and love the 'benefits'!

Back
Top Bottom