Mealworms and other treats

@Jensownzoo
 Thank you, Live seems to be what is most recommended. And I will note do not try the waxworms ;)

Unless you want your chicks to loooove you! I was hand feeding them at the time and one chick just got fed up waiting for me to get another one out of the cup...decided to take matters into her OWN claws tyvm!

HA ha Okay I understand what you mean now, I am still getting use to this chicken ligo. Putting Wax worms back on the list.

I watched a couple videos today on how to make a mealworm "farm" that seems like it could be rewarding but very time consuming and difficult depending on what your weather is like. @Jensownzoo you will have to keep us posted on how it works out for you.

I know a few people have already responded, but I will add my experience with mealworms with our girls. We initially tried live worms when we started buying mealworms thinking it would be more exciting for our girls and they would enjoy it more, but they were more pricey and had to be kept refrigerated and smelled if they died. We then tried the dried kind and really they did not act any differently. They were just as excited and anxious to eat them dried or alive. They started jumping up to try to get bag out of my hands if I did not give them to them fast enough. It was pretty funny to witness. We used them to get them wrangled back into their run when it was not evening. Now everytime we let them free range, whenever they want to go back to their run/coop, they all gather on the back porch of our house and wait until we bring out a treat before they go back. Its funny how patient and persistent they are in this routine. I have heard ducks also like them. I have yet to try that for ours yet. We try to vary what treats we give them to mix it up and keep them guessing. They like other treats, but nothing gets them quite as excited as the mealworms.

Last edited:
I just started a mealworm company targeting backyard chickens. Mealworms are a wonderful source of protein for them, especially during molt season. All of our mealworms are grown locally and responsibly - no dried worms from China! Unfortunately I can't do advertising here but I sure would appreciate it if you checked out my website. The name of my company is Sunshine Acre Worm Farm, Inc. You can save $2 using promo code springsavings until 05/31/16.

We set up several mealworm colonies for our hens but then I read several articles online from .edu sites that say darkling beetles (meal worm adults) and mealworms carry many poultry diseases and parasites.  Anybody out there that can unscare me before I incinerate all our work and time getting the colony going?

http://articles.extension.org/pages/71090/darkling-beetle-control-on-organic-poultry-farms

This article refers to wild darkling beetles loose in poultry facilities, where they are exposed to these diseases and parasites via tunneling through and eating the litter/feces of the birds. Raising mealworms/beetles in farms on bedding and food that do not contain these diseases/parasites makes them safe.

Thanks for the information, Jensownzoo! We'll keep our colonies going. We throw the babies a worm and watch them play chicky football. Would hate to spoil their fun. Jocelyn

This article refers to wild darkling beetles loose in poultry facilities, where they are exposed to these diseases and parasites via tunneling through and eating the litter/feces of the birds. Raising mealworms/beetles in farms on bedding and food that do not contain these diseases/parasites makes them safe.

Also, I'm not sure if the diseases that the beetles carry also applies to the mealworms (anyone know?). I started a mealworm farm in December and my first generation of mealworms is now as big as the ones I started with and many more will follow. The chickens would twirl on their heads for mealworms!
big_smile.png

Also, I'm not sure if the diseases that the beetles carry also applies to the mealworms (anyone know?). I started a mealworm farm in December and my first generation of mealworms is now as big as the ones I started with and many more will follow. The chickens would twirl on their heads for mealworms! :D

Only if you are feeding them a diet of infected chicken poop.

Back
Top Bottom