Mealworms (Saw on America’s Heartland Tv Show)

Aug 27, 2022
The Ocean State
I saw this family owned farm on the tv show America’s Heartland. When they were saying how much they sold 1,000 mealworms/crickets etc... for I thought it was a good price.
When I was a teenager I had to feed some reptiles I had crickets and they were 10 Cents each.
So even if you have other pets maybe it’s worth a try?

https://flukerfarms.com/live-mealworms/

Maybe this will help someone feed their flock cheaper?

Happy Chicken Keeping Everyone!!!
:0)

Tv shows never get anything right. Mealworms and crickets are treats, not a daily ration if feed. Too much fat.
The show was not marketing it to chickens.
That show is about farm lands in America. And all about small family business etc...
From fruit, to cattle, to bugs.
They were just sharing this family bug farm with Americans who watch the tv show. And they mainly sell to people who have reptiles as pets. And they need the protein from the bugs. It’s much cheaper than a pet store/feed store.
I figured for people who give their chickens treats they’d want to know.
But maybe some people don’t know that and your comment will help the new chicken owners.
I thought it was a good price and wanted to share with everyone.
If anyone is like me they have more than just chickens in their life.
And maybe they have other pets that will eat the bugs this family owned far supplies.
I don’t know these people or anything about them other than what I saw in that tv show.
Internet search America’s Heartland and you’ll see it’s not just about mealworms.
They talk about students and 4H, tractors, corn crops... anything farm related.

Last edited:
The show was not marketing it to chickens.
That show is about farm lands in America. And all about small family business etc...
From fruit, to cattle, to bugs.
They were just sharing this family bug farm with Americans who watch the tv show. And they mainly sell to people who have reptiles as pets. And they need the protein from the bugs. It’s much cheaper than a pet store/feed store.
I figured for people who give their chickens treats they’d want to know.
But maybe some people don’t know that and your comment will help the new chicken owners.
I thought it was a good price and wanted to share with everyone.
If anyone is like me they have more than just chickens in their life.
And maybe they have other pets that will eat the bugs this family owned far supplies.
I don’t know these people or anything about them other than what I saw in that tv show.
Internet search America’s Heartland and you’ll see it’s not just about mealworms.
They talk about students and 4H, tractors, corn crops... anything farm related.
It's a good idea for those who want a cheaper way to source meal worms, as treats or for their lizards, definitely, I agree! but I just wanted to clarify that you can't exclusively feed mealworms to chickens long term. What station does the program run on? I'd enjoy it. I thought you meant that soap opera type show that has a similar name, "oh no, don't listen to them!"

It's a good idea for those who want a cheaper way to source meal worms, as treats or for their lizards, definitely, I agree! but I just wanted to clarify that you can't exclusively feed mealworms to chickens long term. What station does the program run on? I'd enjoy it. I thought you meant that soap opera type show that has a similar name, "oh no, don't listen to them!"
Haha I get ya!
I don’t have cable and hardly watch TV so I don’t exactly remember what the station is called?
In RI I think it’s 10.4 and it’s on in the morning at 7am-8am.
But I’m sure you could find it online.

I have never heard of anyone only feeding meal worms to their flock. But if that idea or practice has come to fruition then I would think they didn’t do enough research before getting their pets?
Either way... I posted that link for anyone who wants it as a supplement/treat.

I saw this family owned farm on the tv show America’s Heartland. When they were saying how much they sold 1,000 mealworms/crickets etc... for I thought it was a good price.
When I was a teenager I had to feed some reptiles I had crickets and they were 10 Cents each.
So even if you have other pets maybe it’s worth a try?

https://flukerfarms.com/live-mealworms/

Maybe this will help someone feed their flock cheaper?

Happy Chicken Keeping Everyone!!!
:0)
I just 2 days ago watched a fantastic interview by the most highly censored Floridian Dr. Mercola (so he now only leaves it up for 2 days for self-protection!) with high-end egg-producer Ashley Armstrong from Michigan. Both are health optimizers seeking Omega 3's and avoiding Omega 6/Linoleic Acids for their chickens and themselves. Their experience is that chickens can live best and produce the healthiest eggs on just bugs found in a healthy organic or open pollinated pasture, a bit of greens, along with a lot of fruit. Grains are high in the these bad fats that take us almost two years to clear from our system.

But purchased "DRIED" Mealy Worms & Black Soldier Fly Larvae ARE CHOCK FULL OF THESE BAD FATS! So our girls' eggs are too?
This month I'm going to try a cheap & easy BSF live production bin, (lots of youtube/etc. videos) much easier to sustain in warmer climates like Florida and even my NorCal, butstill seasonally/greenhouse doable in higher latitudes also. Planting out my mini pasture, too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom