MEAN GIRLS-trouble incorporating new hens into flock, HELP!

C_Dzchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'm down to two hens. These two hens, in the past year, have killed a couple other hens. Its been just the two for a while. I got two more full grown hens to go with them, put them in the hen house last night, let them out this morning, ate breakfast, came back out and one of the new ones had gotten out of the hen house, into the coop and already had a bloody head. I got her out of there and the other new one came out of the hen house and they were laying into that one! I separated the two new ones into temporary housing for now. Plan A is to let the new ones establish home turf and then introduce one of the mean hens into the new hens turf to see if she take a less aggressive role since its not her own turf and she's outnumbered. If this doesn't work I don't know what to do besides get rid of the two and start a new flock... Any suggestions?

Last edited:
What you suggested will probably work. You could try fencing the new hens off in a section of your pen, that way they could see each other and get used to one another.

If you have the room or a fenced yard let them roam. We incorporated 5 one year olds with our 3 original 2 year olds by letting them roam as they pleased and feeding them treats - bread, as a group each day. They roamed in clicks but all ended up in the same house at night to sleep. All chickens were able to leave the house when they wanted and roamed the whole yard as they pleased. They eventually worked out an egg laying schedule.

Yes, I still have minor problems and had one major problem recently, but the incorporation went very well I think because of the open space they all had for the first month or so. We eventually had to leave them in the chicken run because they just loved our vegetable garden too much.

We let them see each other for a week or so but separated by a fence. Then together, first time by accident as a gate was left open. The six adults put the sixteen new ones in their place. I had to step in and stop the bully hen a couple of times and she toned it down. But agree, they stick to their own group they know and trust initially in the yard. They adjust to each other slowly. Takes time. The new ones need to be able to get away from the older ones initially...they need some space.

Last edited:
First remember when you get any new birds Please quarantine for 30 days. This in case the new ones are sick or carries of something. I would make sure that they can see each other but can't get to each other maybe free range them together while you can watch then make sure they are put in their different pens. I would do this for a couple of weeks as you stretch the free range time out then let them be in the same pen and see how it goes. If the first 2 still are mean you might need to cull them and start over with a new flock. If the older 2 have killed other hens I would have culled and started over. IMO.

What info can you give me about introducing new pullets to the flock? I have six rhodies/australorps that have really cut back on their laying (2 1/2+ years), as well as a leg horn and an ameraucana that we were able to introduce to them as adults. My thought was to begin to remove the original hens slowly after the new gals begin laying this fall. Now I wonder if I'm making any sense at all to try this?

Back
Top Bottom