Mean rooster

tom e

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
Ventura County
We have a Welsummer rooster who's just now turning bad. He's great with the girls and they seem to love him. But when I go outside he just follows me and glares. If I turn my back on him I get thumped repeatedly in the calf. It's really getting annoying.

I've processed roosters before (when I had lots to choose from) and kept this guy cause he was so pretty, so it won't be a big thing for me to just do it, but I've never had a mean one before.

There's lots of nice roosters looking for a home, and we found a prospective replacement, but I've decided to give this guy a week to reform, just for the hens' sake.

Have any of you ever had luck changing such a monster? What did you do if so?

Yes, there are ways to reform them, if you want to put in the effort.

When he thumps you, or you can tell he's about to, pick him up and carry him around like a football; don't put him down until he calms. Pet him, feed him if convenient (feed is fine,) play with his comb and wattles, while you are carrying him. If he starts walking toward you, back him down, walk toward him; don't chase, just make him veer away. If he really acts up, hold him upside down by the feet -- but not for long as it compromises their breathing. Debatable whether to knock him off the hen when he mates right in front of you.

With my current #1, all I've ever had to do is look at him sternly and walk toward him -- but he's never thumped me. Yet.

You really need to show any roo you are the #1 roo, anyway. Some just take more convincing than others.

I've convinced a rooster to behave appropriately toward me, mainly by doing what Ddawn said. The problem is that what I did had no effect on how he regarded my wife or any visitors. He was a danger to them. Especially if you have small children around, I suggest getting rid of him unless you have a real strong reason to keep him, like he is a grand champion and you want to breed him. In that case, lock him up. Once they show they will attack humans, I never trust them.

Good luck!

He doesn't have spurs yet, I've actually never seen spurs on a real life rooster yet. Are they what make them dangerous or just his pecking and kicking? We have no kids, but lots of my friends do, and though they haven't done so yet, several talk about bringing their kids over to see them. I sure would like that to be a happy experience for everyone.

I don't have any desire to keep separate homes for other groups of birds.

One time I had one start to act up and I grabbed his head/neck and gave him a bit of a head shake. Not to hurt but to get my point across. I wonder if you just grab him and hold him like that until he settles down or carry him around by his feet or separate him from his hens every time he acts up would help.

Quote:
When the spurs come in that's when they'll start bruising you and drawing blood. I suppose if he's borderline you could separate him when there are visitors. But I wouldn't put up with too much abuse. You might try some of the techniques mentioned.

When I was a young teen, I didn' t know anything about chickens, but I had some scrappy little rooster jump right up to my face level. I had one that attacked my neice. The smaller the kid the more vulnerable. You have to think about an eye injury.

We had the same problem, easily solved, as he came for me, i scooped him with my hand and bowled him across the run, as he got up i did it again. Went to do it a 3rd time and he ran. A couple of days later I did the same again, going for him this time. Asserted my dominance and now no problems! Try it but wear good gloves!

Back
Top Bottom