Mean roosters

spunkychickenmomma

Songster
13 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Morris, OK
I have a Plymoth Rock rooster and a Welsummer rooster. Both of these roosters are very agressive. I understand that roosters are supposed to protect their flock, but I get flogged at least once or twice a week everytime I go into to pens. (These roosters are not kept in the same pen together) Is this common to the breed or did I just get "lucky"?
idunno.gif

I don't know that excessive aggression is particular to any given breed but more to do with management practices. The fact that this behavior has been allowed to continue for weeks on end speaks volumes about the way you deal with your chickens/roos.

Confidence and consistent training of roos starts while they are young and should be complete by the time they've reached maturity. Since yours have been allowed to display undesirable behavior, it would be best if you train them as soon as possible and not allow this to continue.

Decisive action is needed for these two roos if you plan to keep them....or the next roo you get and even the next one will react to your management in much the same way. I guess it's more about training yourself to manage the roo than it is about the roo itself.

I don't mean to high jack this thead, but I'm curious to know what Beekissed recommends to manage the roosters? I have one white leghorn rooster and I don't bother him and he doesn't bother me, for now. But I want to keep him protecting the flock without worrying that he'll attack me when I turn my back on him. He pecked my boots the other day so I kicked him away lightly and he hasn't tried it again, but I think he might when the opportunity presents and I'd like to be ready. Thanks.

My roo started jumping my brother first then he did go after me once. I pinned his fuzzy butt tot he ground and held him there until he didnt move nor resist. I let him go and he still laid there until i was out of the run, since then he has not tried it again. Shwo the roo your dominent over him. Thats the only way i know, but i will be watchign thsi thread to see what Beekissed has to say about training them, i am intrested, cuz my roo still jumps my bro.

Might I ask how many hens you have per roo? I have a nice one (so Far) he never liked to be held, even as a chick, I have to make him move from the mane coop every night and go into his LOL sound proffed one (So I don't have to get rid of him) he sees me coming most of the time and get's his mane girlfriend and he stomps off to his apartment. He is not full grow yet and I still may have trouble. I try not to mess with the girls in front of him, he has 9 hens to watcher over.
fl.gif

Quote:
You can train a roo just like you train a dog. When you want a dog to do something you reward him when he makes a move toward the positive and provide a negative response for any misbehaviors. When your roo approaches you boldly, like you are nothing to fear, you need to get into his personal space in a confident way until he moves away.

The first time you advance, he will walk away from you...and you relent. He has learned that moving away from you is a positive move. If he gets used to you in his personal space you may have to push it further by walking towards him quickly until he moves away from you quickly....not chasing him, just merely teaching him that you will stop only when he gets far enough out of your personal space.

Do this at odd moments when you visit the chicken yard. Sometimes I startle a roo when he least expects it, just to keep him wary of me. You don't want him running for the high hills when you come but you do want him looking over his shoulder instead of vice versa.

It is important to walk with confidence in everything you do and keep your roo in the corner of your eye. As with any male livestock, it is always smart to be vigilant...this does not mean you have to always feel paranoid and looking over your shoulder. Just vigilant...the same as when you deal with horses, bulls, billy goats, boars, etc. They have the hormonal and instinctual drives that can make them unpredictable at any given moment~ a smart farmer knows this and always remains vigilant to this.

A roo that is already been getting away with unacceptable behavior needs similar training but will require a little more assertive moves to break the cycle he has gotten into.

Thanks for that advice Beekissed - I will keep it in my mind as I work around Foghorn my now 17 week old White Leghorn.

I'm treating my flock for mites and as part of the treatment I had to paint his comb, wattles and legs last night with olive oil - I wasn't looking forward to going in the coop and picking him up. But it was very easy. He was wide awake as were the others. They were all standing rather than sitting on the roost. I quickly picked him up from the roost, kept him away from my face and basted away. I had already dusted him with Sevin during the day so I didn't need to do that too this time. He was the only hold out for treatment as I had gotten all the girls during the day but he went absolutely wild scared when I tried to approach him during the day. I'll save his treatments for the night as that went very smoothly.

I do like having him as a rooster to take care of the flock because he does a great job of wrangling them and alerting them to danger. While I love our chicks, I'm really not interested in cuddling with them - but I do want to be able to get close enough to treat them when I have to treat them.

97463_comb_cleaning_005.jpg

97463_comb_cleaning_006.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom