How many birds can fit "comfortably"

EdgeC

Songster
Aug 5, 2023
I have a run that is 25'*50' and a coop that is 10'*10'*10' (2x4s at around 8 feet of height and lower). They are staggard so I can make use of all the up and down space. I would still like to be able to walk under it, so I don't want to fill ALL of the room in with nesting bars. Most standard guides(Square foot guides) are only for one nesting bar etc, I can fit many...

They will all be let out to roam the 25'x50' run during the day and all food/water would be provided for them (plus snacks). They would be all female with one roo... or two roos max (at numbers of 20+ hens).

Attachments

• pexels-magda-ehlers-pexels-1300375.jpg
    pexels-magda-ehlers-pexels-1300375.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 127
Edited the titles/name in hopes for a response. (After waiting 12+ hours).

Most standard guides(Square foot guides) are only for one nesting bar etc, I can fit many...
Guidelines for roost is length of roost per bird, generally 1' per bird.
More might be needed if they have to fly up to roosts.
This applies no matter the number roosts.

Guidelines for coop and run space is generally 4sqft per bird in coop and 10sqft per bird in run. These are commonly expressed but most find them to be minimal, space needed may also depend on your climate and how weather/predator proof the run is.

Guidelines for roost is length of roost per bird, generally 1' per bird.
More might be needed if they have to fly up to roosts.
This applies no matter the number roosts.

Guidelines for coop and run space is generally 4sqft per bird in coop and 10sqft per bird in run. These are commonly expressed but most find them to be minimal, space needed may also depend on your climate and how weather/predator proof the run is.
The coop is fully made of steel and covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, skirted and buried.

Regarding the coop guidelines... I have only seen them state about the square footage (ie... 5'*5') I have not seen the 1' per bird. Thanks that helps. I live in zone 7a/b and as such, insulation and heating are not required the coop does provide rain/wind/snow protection.

Anything else I am missing? Thank you.

I assume my limiting factor will be the coop then... as according to the 4sqft rule... unless I messed up. Based on run alone, the run (not the coop) can hold 312.5(absolute max) which is prob way more than I need.

Last edited:
The coop is fully made of steel and covered in 1/2" hardware cloth, skirted and buried.

Regarding the coop guidelines... I have only seen them state about the square footage (ie... 5'*5') I have not seen the 1' per bird. Thanks that helps. I live in zone 7a/b and as such, insulation and heating are not required the coop does provide rain/wind/snow protection.

Anything else I am missing? Thank you.

I assume my limiting factor will be the coop then... as according to the 4sqft rule... unless I messed up. Based on run alone, the run (not the coop) can hold 312.5(absolute max) which is prob way more than I need.
25 birds in the coop, and your run is nice and roomy!

Thank you
You're welcome! I have a 24x20 run, and a 24x36 chicken yard (grass and trees to boot) there is a gate that connects them so I can close them in the run for whatever reason whenever need be. The number of birds I have varies greatly depending on the time of year. During the Spring and Summer I raise a lot of chicks to replace some of my ladies and to sell. The more room they have the better, especially if you let a broody hatch chicks, or plan to integrate more chicks down the road. It just makes things easier.

You're welcome! I have a 24x20 run, and a 24x36 chicken yard (grass and trees to boot) there is a gate that connects them so I can close them in the run for whatever reason whenever need be. The number of birds I have varies greatly depending on the time of year. During the Spring and Summer I raise a lot of chicks to replace some of my ladies and to sell. The more room they have the better, especially if you let a broody hatch chicks, or plan to integrate more chicks down the road. It just makes things easier.
Well they used to be fully free ranged (fruit tree orchard) but predators became to much over the winter. I think I may end up building more coops/runs (to justify my incubator setup). I got a great deal on a set up, but its designed to pump out 270 chicks/18 days (has a separate dedicated hatcher for the last 3 days).

Well they used to be fully free ranged (fruit tree orchard) but predators became to much over the winter. I think I may end up building more coops/runs (to justify my incubator setup). I got a great deal on a set up, but its designed to pump out 270 chicks/18 days (has a separate dedicated hatcher for the last 3 days).
That's why I don't free range anymore and built them their own chicken paradise, lol. Maybe you could build a coop and run specifically for growing out chicks to sell...

That's why I don't free range anymore and built them their own chicken paradise, lol. Maybe you could build a coop and run specifically for growing out chicks to sell...
I may do that in the future, focus is mostly on other homestead projects now though. I will honestly prob learn a lot on jaring/canning and work on meat production. It's still hard for me to cull my birds though. I do it, but its hard.

Back
Top Bottom