Mean turkey

maziechicken02

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Hi I have a midget white turkey and he is really mean and chases me and does the mating purr and hangs his wings down to me i am starting to get sick of it but I don't want him to be a turkey dinner.Any tips would be great and he does have a female turkey that he could mate with.

If he is bonded to you and thinks you are his "girl", can someone else take care of the turkeys for a while? Please do let them know to keep an eye on him.

That's a good idea but he does this to everyone he meets and my dad is the only one who he's afraid of

Ok, this may sound really weird, but...

Go to Goodwill, Salvation Army, a garage sale...and find a bright blue stuffed animal or inflatable ball. Like the color blue on a Pepsi can. Don't spend much on it.

Toss it in the coop before you go in. If your tom is like my tom, he will be far more interested in the blue thing than in you.

That's its good idea! I'll definitely try it thanks for the help!
big_smile.png

If he's intimidated by your dad to the point that he respects his space, you should try to intimate him to the point where he doesn't want to try an push your buttons. Act tough and don't back away because he will for sure sense any fear and he'll feed off of it. Try taking an umbrella with you when you're around him. When he acts up, open and shut it quickly. He'll soon associate his poor behavior with the scary umbrella and hopefully he will no longer test you because now he'll know that the result is a negative one.

Last edited:
Ok, this may sound really weird, but...

Go to Goodwill, Salvation Army, a garage sale...and find a bright blue stuffed animal or inflatable ball. Like the color blue on a Pepsi can. Don't spend much on it.

Toss it in the coop before you go in. If your tom is like my tom, he will be far more interested in the blue thing than in you.

Wow! That's pretty neat. Any idea why it works? Our turkeys haven't hatched yet but we had some aggressive toms when I was a kid. I was deathly afraid of them!

Back
Top Bottom