Mearns Hen sick

Tiredchick

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
I have a pair of mearns. The male is happy and active the female is not. She’s standing buffed up and keeping her eyes closed. These guys are just pets and expensive. I don’t want to lose her…. There are not exotic avian vets near me.

How old are the Marans? Is the female laying eggs, or has she laid them in the past? What does her crop feel like—empty and flat, full, hard, dough-like, or soft and puffy? Can you recheck it first thing in the morning before she eats and drinks to make sure that it is emptying normally overnight? What do her poops look like (pictures are welcome.) Is her tail position up or down? Has she lost weight in her breast area when you pick her up? Does she have any lice or mites on her? Have you wormed the Marans recently? What do you feed them?

How old are the Marans? Is the female laying eggs, or has she laid them in the past? What does her crop feel like—empty and flat, full, hard, dough-like, or soft and puffy? Can you recheck it first thing in the morning before she eats and drinks to make sure that it is emptying normally overnight? What do her poops look like (pictures are welcome.) Is her tail position up or down? Has she lost weight in her breast area when you pick her up? Does she have any lice or mites on her? Have you wormed the Marans recently? What do you feed them?
No lice or mites. Tail down. They are a year old. I purchased them in January so not sure on her past. Crop is good.

They are on a gamebird feed and have access to a layer feed with calcium. They also get mealworms and crickets a few times a week.

Right now I am giving them electrolytes

She might have some type of reproductive disorder that is making her feel bad. Has she ever laid eggs for you? I would try giving her a human calcium tablet for a week, to see if she lays an egg. If you have any antibiotics such as Aqua Mox amoxicillin, that might help treat an infection. I would try to offer some foods that she likes, such as moisten chicken feed, scrambled egg, or tuna. Check her crop in early morning to see if it has emptied.

She might have some type of reproductive disorder that is making her feel bad. Has she ever laid eggs for you? I would try giving her a human calcium tablet for a week, to see if she lays an egg. If you have any antibiotics such as Aqua Mox amoxicillin, that might help treat an infection. I would try to offer some foods that she likes, such as moisten chicken feed, scrambled egg, or tuna. Check her crop in early morning to see if it has emptied.
Well these quail don’t lay often and they really aren’t in season right now to lay

Back
Top Bottom