meat bird feeding question

esatula

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Hello all, first time poster- long time lurker.

This is my first time doing meat birds and the problem I have is that I travel a lot for work. I understand with the crosses the purpose of 12 on and 12 off for feed or there was even a couple post on lighting.

I am looking for a way that I can leave food 24hr even if this means it takes longer to get the birds up to size. Can I get like a lower protien feed or something?

Right now I have 50 regular cronish and 20 crosses. They will be kept in a barn with a run area so they can get some air during the day.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

The opinion here seems split as to whether you should feed 24/7 or not. Many do, many don't. For the most part I did. I think the reason for withholding feed is to intentionally slow down their growth. I would not lower their protein under any circumstances.

I built a 6" PVC pipe feeder, which held about 35lbs of feed. My work takes me away unexpectedly, and I rarely have constant hours so I need a way to give the birds access to at least 2 days worth of food and water. It was a pretty simply design: one erect 6" pipe, one pan with lip, a couple of brackets to keep the pipe a little above the pan. Gravity took care of the rest.

Last edited:
We feed 24/7 and haven't had a problem with it. I would not light the coop artificially. Usually birds don't eat in the dark so that should slow them down at night and naturally give you the 12 on/12 off scenario.

awesome thanks you guys are making me feel a WHOLE bunch better.

I was starting to think they were going to pop like balloons if I feed 24/7

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

I feed by weight, not by time. If they are supposed to get 25 lbs. that day I gie them 25 lbs. I usually break up the ration. For instance with 25 lbs. I might give them 14 in the morning and 11 in the evening. By feeding by weight your birds are getting what they are supposed to eat basically when they need it. Several sites, including Welp hatchery have feed charts for Cornish X's.

Back
Top Bottom