Meat Birds in the Tractor

Reurra

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Nova Scotia
So my meat birds have a new tractor. And they dont want anything to do with the grass. They huddle on one corner and poop all over it, then lay in it. How soon will they figure out that the grass is for eating? Or are they jsut so stupid that the money and time I spent building this thing was wasted on them?
he.gif

They are not afriad, they jsut dont seem inclined to move about or to eat the grass, or even the bugs! I have a feeder in there, but it is kept on the "nearly empty" setting and only filled a little bit twice a day.

Last edited:
I presume you have CX's?

Hunger will motivate them to 'try' the grass. However, they MUCH prefer feed. Our CX weren't very good bug catchers - but if slow moving enough (i.e. ground critters, not flying ones), they did go after those bugs. But flying bugs, no way! Too fast to catch!

Our CX did eat grass - but would much rather sit next to the feeder and wait for suppertime. Our FR's actively ate bugs and grass and foraged very well. Foraged almost better than our layers (Black Java's) - as they adored flies! Despite record fly production, the FR ate them all. I didn't realize that until they were all processed and in Camp Frigidaire...and the flies took over their pen!

I wish we could get freedom rangers here. I havent seen any breeders though.

Yep, all they do is belly up to the feeder and leave a poop ring around it.
sickbyc.gif

5 more weeks to go....

That's why we switched to FR's this time around. The CX's are so lazy and almost unnatural :( BUT, boy are they tasty, one breast can feed both my hubby and I!!!

I buy 9 week old birds from a local lady, they are 10lbs on average!! They are sooo yummy! It takes a week to use up just one bird!

Last edited:

1. Today was the first day I let my cross x roam the backyard age 5 weeks, they are foraging, but did find a patch of dry crumble and all seem to gravitate towards it.
    Do t plan on feeding them until I want them back in their pen
    Interesting the rir I am raising along with them seem a little more curious and do better at foraging.
    I had to spank lol the 2 older rir to not pick on the babies :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom