Is there any hope for me raising spring meat birds in a yard that often floods?

Hi everyone! I'm reviving my old thread because I DID end up getting some CX chicks. They are about 2 weeks old now and I'll try to get them outside next week, weather permitting. The plan is to try to start them in the tractor if the weather isn't flooding our yard. If we get more than one rainy day, I'll have the prefab coop I posted above set up on the high ground in my yard, with a big run around it (I estimate about 4'x20'). I'll transfer the chickens there and even if we end up having all rainy weather, I can just keep adding bedding and raise them stationary in that spot. I can even transfer them back to the tractor if the yard dries up.

Only problem is, I haven't been able to locate any free wood chips yet. That is what I had planned to add to the run if they are in there. Where do you get free wood chips? I was ghosted on Craigslist a few times.

Also, if I can't use wood chips, can I use dry leaves? I have a bunch in my garage that I've been using as coop bedding, but I wasn't sure if they would get soggy in the uncovered portion of the run.
Try your municipality/city and see if they have a sign up. Contact tree companies and ask about dropping you a load of mulch. Should be free or a nominal fee like $20 or so. Leaves will get soggy and should be mixed with something so chickens don't slip and they stay aerated.

https://getchipdrop.com/

Try your municipality/city and see if they have a sign up. Contact tree companies and ask about dropping you a load of mulch. Should be free or a nominal fee like $20 or so. Leaves will get soggy and should be mixed with something so chickens don't slip and they stay aerated.

https://getchipdrop.com/
Thanks so much!

Also,Chip Drop seems great but when I signed up it said the delivery would be about 20 cubic yards. That's probably bigger than my driveway and waaaay more than I need. Cool resource though.

Thanks so much!

Also,Chip Drop seems great but when I signed up it said the delivery would be about 20 cubic yards. That's probably bigger than my driveway and waaaay more than I need. Cool resource though.
For us it was about the length of a car and half the height. My husband moved it all to the back of the yard in a day by himself (he was highly motivated). It may not be as much as you think. The bottom will slowly compost in the rain, and it's like putting your birds on a forest floor type, if you have a covered run with tons of ventilation. You can compost the bottom layer by itself or with chicken poo if you want to. We also used it around the bushes in the front yard after it aged a month or two.

You can also ask tree service folks where they dump their loads and get a smaller load there (usually at the city dump or something).

For us it was about the length of a car and half the height. My husband moved it all to the back of the yard in a day by himself (he was highly motivated). It may not be as much as you think. The bottom will slowly compost in the rain, and it's like putting your birds on a forest floor type, if you have a covered run with tons of ventilation. You can compost the bottom layer by itself or with chicken poo if you want to. We also used it around the bushes in the front yard after it aged a month or two.

You can also ask tree service folks where they dump their loads and get a smaller load there (usually at the city dump or something).
That's interesting because last year I had 2 cubic yards of soil delivered and it was about the size you are describing. Maybe the 20 I read on their website was a typo?

And that's a good idea too about the tree service people. I'm gonna start calling around tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom