Meat Birds?

Hi , I'm not sure but i think that "meat birds" are birds that can give a lot of meat , they are a bit bigger than bantams , when you kill them. I think they can make a pretty good dinner if you want , when they are adults!

Annette.

Does this mean they wont lay?
hmm.png

Most likely your "meat birds" are Cornish X's-- they are specifically bread to grow very fast & be harvested at 8-12 weeks or so. They grow so large that they have health problems & usually do not survive very long. They might lay if they make it that far, but they are not "layers" & no one would choose them for egg production. Your best bet is to take them to be processed when they're a good size, put them in the freezer & start over with known laying breeds.

If you want eggs, return them this instant! They are meant to be eaten at about 2 months like michellererene said and often have leg and health problems. They don't act like normal chickens and will be about 7-8 lbs alive by butcher time.

Just because they are meat birds does not mean they have to be eaten. I have one named Drumstick who I was going to butcher, but I fell in love with him. I got him as a chick in Late August I believe, and he is still alive and flies 4 feet up to roost. I have never limited his food either. He doesnt breed the hens as easily as my other roos, but he gets around just fine. Being a Cornish X isnt a death sentence.
big_smile.png

If they are females and make it to the right age, then I see no reason for them not to lay eggs. They wont live as long as other chickens, but I find them to be a whole lot sweeter. Its your choice of course, but dont think you HAVE to take them back, because they can live longer than 8-12 weeks.

I will have to wait and see then, its not really that I wanted egg production but for pets, hens for my sweet roo. Thats all. I figured they were cornish x. I will see how they are doing in a couple months.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom