Meat Chickens & Diseases

athunt

Hatching
Mar 18, 2016
I've been looking around a bit and haven't come across anything.

I know diseases are common such as the following:

Scaley Legs
Mites/Lice
Worms

Along with the one that causes problems with the eyes and many others.

My question is this, can we still eat these chickens as meat? Do they need to be cured of all diseases before they are butchered? One example would be if one suddenly died could you use it for meat?

One other random question is if we live in a suburban area are we allowed to throw the chicken scraps (heads/legs) in the trash? Or should they be buried? I really don't have room to bury lots of animals in my yard. Its pretty small so are there other options besides paying for a vet to dispose of an entire chicken? I know this answer is mostly obvious.

Thanks.

Thanks for the link.

I also have a dog that is an option. I was going to ask raw or cooked but that answer is here if others rae interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/802296/feeding-dog-raw-what-to-keep-from-processing-meat-chickens

I have 2 Golden Sex Links, 2 Plymouth Rocks, and 2 Bantams. I think they are buff bantams. So mostly eggs and a few Egg/Meat mix birds. My biggest concern is worms. So I would probably consider using them for meat around 3-4 years I would hope. I have been reading up on deworming and they suggest deworming once or twice a year which I prefer not to do until its really needed. But I hear they are already infested heavily at the point of seeing signs in the fieces.

I periodically give my birds garlic. It is believed to have many health benefits as well as a natural wormer (and i got alot of garic, they love it)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386310/garlic-for-chickens#post_4673759
One thing i have found with about all natural remedies, they work well as preventatives, they do not usually fix a full blown infestation. You might look up Diatomaceous Earth as well. I use it in my coop under their straw.

I periodically give my birds garlic. It is believed to have many health benefits as well as a natural wormer (and i got alot of garic, they love it)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386310/garlic-for-chickens#post_4673759
One thing i have found with about all natural remedies, they work well as preventatives, they do not usually fix a full blown infestation. You might look up Diatomaceous Earth as well. I use it in my coop under their straw.

Thanks for the info. I'm in So. Dakota and finally have green shoots of garlic coming up. I plan to add a few cut ups for my 4 week old chicks.

One other random question is if we live in a suburban area are we allowed to throw the chicken scraps (heads/legs) in the trash? Or should they be buried? I really don't have room to bury lots of animals in my yard. Its pretty small so are there other options besides paying for a vet to dispose of an entire chicken? I know this answer is mostly obvious.

Thanks.
Bag it up. Place in trash barrel. Do not feed your dog chicken guts or any raw food.

Back
Top Bottom