Meat comparison dual purpose breeds

Bluberry

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
For those of you who have dabbled in dual purpose poultry. What American dual purpose breed stands out for its table qualities and why?

I've raised quite a few, & have been pleased. But I've found certain crosses of Heritage type breeds, can produce a better Duel purpose bird with better meat amount.

Which types were the easiest to process and fleshed well? (Fewer small hair feathers, etc.)
All the ones I started with were pretty fluffy, which were Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Australorps, & Rhode Island Reds.

Least fluffy would be Easter Eggers.

If you really wanna get into fewer feathers that would be Oriental Gamefowl like Malays, which are better for meat, not best with egg laying.

Standard Cornish, if you can find a breeder that is willing to sell.
Large breasts but slow to mature and quit laying when it's hot.
Hard feathered so not as many as soft feathered.

A couple of hens that are part dark standard Cornish
KIMG0805.JPG

All the ones I started with were pretty fluffy, which were Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Australorps, & Rhode Island Reds.
These are yummy. I can't recall when the last time I tried a NH. The CX give you protein but not flavor nor texture. Does anyone remember flavor? foster farm, tyson, etc. etc, none of these. I like any of the pure Cornish, I would prefer a Shamo x NH big body and fast maturing. To repeat this recipe combo would be so easy. Do you remember the old adage ( it taste like chicken (rabbit) (frog) chicken is not supposed to taste like these animal. Sorry for the highjack.

These are yummy. I can't recall when the last time I tried a NH. The CX give you protein but not flavor nor texture. Does anyone remember flavor? foster farm, tyson, etc. etc, none of these. I like any of the pure Cornish, I would prefer a Shamo x NH big body and fast maturing. To repeat this recipe combo would be so easy. Do you remember the old adage ( it taste like chicken (rabbit) (frog) chicken is not supposed to taste like these animal. Sorry for the highjack.
If raised on a certain diet, & lots of excercise a home raised chicken tastes more gamey, similar to that of Turkey from what I've discovered over the years.

Hello, I'd like to ask for opinions of Bielefelders vs Jersey Giants.
I've read Bielefelders are supposed to be "meaty," but I know Jersey Giants use to be bred for their meat a decade or so ago.
We're not interested in Cross Cornish or that type. We're just wanting better meat % then what the Barred Rock, RIRs, Sexlinks & Orringtons give. We've tried them & in our view, they're not really worth the meat, just good layers.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom