Meat flock size

As you can easily tell, there are a lot of different ways to go about it. To start with nothing is more efficient than getting the Cornish X. You have to buy the chicks, so that is not self-sufficient. Some people pasture them and get some relief on buying feed for them. I haven’t done it myself but I suspect they still buy a lot of feed. To me, being self-sufficient means the least amount of money I have to spend. Your definition may be different. If you are buying practically all they will eat, Cornish X is probably the best way to go.

To get the quantity of meat you are talking about you are going to need a big operation. You might want to look into rabbits, they might be a better fit for you. Or at least raise both chickens and rabbits. You’re almost looking at a commercial type operation. Five chickens a week for 52 weeks is 260 chickens. That’s a lot. You said you may be twice that.

For that number of chickens you cannot rely on broody hens to hatch enough for you unless you have a huge number of chickens. Then you have to house them and feed them or provide a really big pasture. Predators are a big risk to an operation like that. Even if you pasture you’ll probably buy a lot of feed, especially in the winter, depending on where you live.

Half the chicks you hatch will be female. For me that means half the chickens I eat are female. They will not be nearly as big as cockerels so you’ll probably need to cook them in a way to stretch the meat. When Mom served fried chicken some of the pieces on the platter were neck, back, liver, and gizzard, all well breaded. Chicken and dumplings and stews are a great way to really stretch a chicken.

To get that many chickens I think you have to have an incubator and raise them yourself. Incubators come in different sizes so you basically decide how many chickens you need then decide how big an incubator you need and how often you need to set eggs. Then decide how big of a flock will you need to fill it as often as you want to hatch. I suggest you store the eggs for hatching no longer than one week. With my hens and their frequency of lay, I can normally fill a 42 egg incubator in a week with eight hens. If one goes broody or stops laying for some other reason, I may not be able to totally fill it. Then in the off-season you may hardly get any eggs. If you have a big enough freezer or can the meat you can maybe grow enough during the summer to handle winter.

How much this costs will depend a lot on how much you have to buy feed. Initial set-up costs for housing may be really high. I have no idea how much you can pasture or raise feed for them yourself and I don’t know your predator pressure.

How many and what kind of chickens to get? I’ve never raised Rangers or any like that so I don’t know how well they survive and reproduce. You might want to give them a try. I certainly agree, the dual purpose chickens you get form a hatchery are nothing like the Delaware, New Hampshire, an some strains of White Rock that were the backbone of the chicken meat industry before the Cornish X took over in the 1950’s. Still a lot of people base their meat flocks on these birds. They are fairly good at surviving and reproducing and can forage for a lot of their feed if you have good quality forage. But they certainly don’t grow very fast and aren’t as efficient in converting feed to meat if you are buying or even growing most of their feed.

So what if the Rangers are hybrid and won’t breed true? Their offspring will still have great meat qualities, they just won’t be as consistent as their parents. Just select the best as breeding stock and in a few generations you have a flock that becomes more consistent and better meets your goals.

A standard model on small farms worldwide for thousands of years is to keep your own breeding stock for maybe 4 to 5 generations, then bring in a new rooster to increase genetic diversity. If you find a lot of flaws when you start inbreeding you may need to get rid of your stock and start over, but most people can work with this four to five generation model. Just keep your best breeders and eat the rest. Don’t get sentimental about a bird with deficiencies and keep it for breeding.

It’s hard to know what to tell you. You are looking at a much bigger operation than my 40 to 45 chickens for the table a year. Good luck!

If you are trying to raise your own birds to save money, forget it. If you are trying to raise your own birds because you want better tasting meat that you know was raised well, then go right ahead.

This is a very good point. The money spent on housing, feeding, watering, processing equipment is more than you think and buying feed retail you probably spend at least as much on that as you would have on store meat. Meaning the cost of all that equipment is never repaid.

There are other reasons you would do this like the pride of doing it yourself, knowing the quality of diet they got, some people prefer to know their birds lived a better life than a factory raised bird, or the ever important teaching our kids about the world. Too few kids today truly understand meat is animals and vegetables come out of the ground and insects crawling all over plants that grow our fruits are CRITICAL to the food supply.

I just found this thread.

I love to hear about people wanting to raise their own meaties!

I raise lots of meaties a year.

I buy CX's, I raise them slowly. I do not feed them high protein feed after the first few days.

I have them free ranging at 3 weeks. I only feed them what they can eat twice a day for 15 minutes at a time. I also raise them longer. I raise them 13 weeks so I get bigger birds. I have no leg issues. I use to have leg issues, heart and kidney problems (ascites) when I raised them according to hatchery instructions.
These problems surfaced around 6-7 weeks.

I also have adult CX's that give me an egg a day. I have a CX/Dixie rainbow cross rooster I use as a broiler daddy. They are over a year old now. I have been trying to raise my own meaties. It is not a perfect system and costs me more per chick with feed costs and incubating them than buying them from a hatchery.

My roosters are 11-13 pounds dressed at processing the girls go 8-10 pounds. Last year I spent $7.80 per chick to get them to that size. I raise 70-100 at a time.

The above two pictures are my breeding stock CX's in their breeding pen and coop.

Above is my half breed rooster, my broiler Daddy. His daddy was full CX.

Here are my CX's free ranging last fall, with a turkey hen mothering one.

EDITED TO ADD: I do not feed them in the mornings when they are around 4 weeks old. I force them to free range and only feed them at night. If you feed them in the morning some will be lazy and not search for bugs and seeds.

Last edited:
This is why I love this site; in less than 24 hours I've already received far more information than I could have dreamed. I will be looking for breeds that forage well. We have lots of free acreage available; so that combined with our sustainable garden that way overproduced for our family, I'm hoping to put a dent in the feed cost. Also, we're in Alabama, so most years there is good forage almost year round. I love the suggestion about rabbits and am working diligently to get the wife on board with the idea, but they're still too cute for her to eat. Although, I'm not giving up as I want the fertilizer for our gardens and I have a source to sell their skins for a little extra income. Additionally, freezer space is not an issue; we have a small chest type and a large upright available (and another upright coming soon). I'm building a scalder and plucker from scrap material fast processing. Our only major predator issues are hawks and coyotes. Our dogs keep the coyotes at bay and there is a large covered run to give them some extra protection. I know we haven't thought of everything, but we didn't want to start with a flock that was too small and not worth the effort for our family, but we also didn't want to go overboard and end up with dozens of birds we don't need. All in all, the information has been very helpful and would love to keep getting more thoughts on the topic. Each comment is getting me one step closer to decisions of breed type and flock size, so thank you all!

This is why I love this site; in less than 24 hours I've already received far more information than I could have dreamed. I will be looking for breeds that forage well. We have lots of free acreage available; so that combined with our sustainable garden that way overproduced for our family, I'm hoping to put a dent in the feed cost. Also, we're in Alabama, so most years there is good forage almost year round. I love the suggestion about rabbits and am working diligently to get the wife on board with the idea, but they're still too cute for her to eat. Although, I'm not giving up as I want the fertilizer for our gardens and I have a source to sell their skins for a little extra income. Additionally, freezer space is not an issue; we have a small chest type and a large upright available (and another upright coming soon). I'm building a scalder and plucker from scrap material fast processing. Our only major predator issues are hawks and coyotes. Our dogs keep the coyotes at bay and there is a large covered run to give them some extra protection. I know we haven't thought of everything, but we didn't want to start with a flock that was too small and not worth the effort for our family, but we also didn't want to go overboard and end up with dozens of birds we don't need. All in all, the information has been very helpful and would love to keep getting more thoughts on the topic. Each comment is getting me one step closer to decisions of breed type and flock size, so thank you all!

If hawks are a problem for you, why not try chicken tractors? You can fit 25 meat chickens in a 5 x 10 tractor. Just move them around your yard often. No hawks can get into a well built tractor.

I am also interested in raising some broilers. This being my first time and its only my husband and i to feed i figured i would buy some CX's for my first time. I have read NOT to feed them 24/7 but rather to feed them 12 hrs on and 12 hours off. Still i would think it would be better to limit the food. We plan to do probably 10 at first in a tractor. This way they are moved around to eat the ground, leave their good fertilizer and feed on what nature intended with some feed available. I hope this works. I plan to do some fall chickens too and thought about adding a couple red rangers or freedom rangers whatever you want to call them today. ha.
lau.gif
For my husband and i and to feed ourselves and be proud to know we can live a bit by raising our own food, we would probably need to raise 30 plus birds a year but its not going to happen this year so we will start out small. Eventually you will have everything you need accept feed and your chickens raised and culled and put on your table will pay for itself. And your bellies will be happier IMHO. :)

I am also interested in raising some broilers. This being my first time and its only my husband and i to feed i figured i would buy some CX's for my first time. I have read NOT to feed them 24/7 but rather to feed them 12 hrs on and 12 hours off. Still i would think it would be better to limit the food. We plan to do probably 10 at first in a tractor. This way they are moved around to eat the ground, leave their good fertilizer and feed on what nature intended with some feed available. I hope this works. I plan to do some fall chickens too and thought about adding a couple red rangers or freedom rangers whatever you want to call them today. ha.
lau.gif
For my husband and i and to feed ourselves and be proud to know we can live a bit by raising our own food, we would probably need to raise 30 plus birds a year but its not going to happen this year so we will start out small. Eventually you will have everything you need accept feed and your chickens raised and culled and put on your table will pay for itself. And your bellies will be happier IMHO. :)

You are close enough to me to see what I do, or even go in on a order of chicks to save on shipping charges and get price breaks.

Also we have the Camp Day event with the Minnesota people from our area that is fun and gets us cheap meat.

You are close enough to me to see what I do, or even go in on a order of chicks to save on shipping charges and get price breaks.

Also we have the Camp Day event with the Minnesota people from our area that is fun and gets us cheap meat.
That is an awesome idea. let me know when this happens. [email protected] What is the camp day event? My husband and i signed up for a backyard chicken event (class) for one dayin march in south st. paul. thought it would be fun to get out and maybe learn something new.

Back
Top Bottom