Meat Pekin Ducks.

circlecsranch

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2015
So back in Feb we got 12 Pekin ducklings from TSC, a straight run. We ended up with 4 hens and 8 drakes. We are keeping all the hens and 1 drake for eggs. The other drakes are being processed for meat in the next 2-3 weeks. Right now they are about 9wks, because we don't know the exact hatch date. Only they were between 2-4days old when we got them. We weighed the 7 drakes, numbered each and have them on a new feed ration to fatten up. Since this is our first time raising ducks, and ducks for meat even. We are trying by trial and error to get the most flavorful meat and largest size dressed weight we can. Then new feed ration is as follows and weights for each duck. Will weigh every Sat until processing, then will have dressed weights at the end. Hoping to learn from others here that have done the same to see if results are norm or if I do better or worse and for other first timers as well.

Duck 1- 5lbs
Duck 2- 5.2lbs
Duck 3- 5.4lbs
Duck 4- 4.7lbs
Duck 5- 4.5lbs
Duck 6- 4.2lbs
Duck 7- 3.8lbs

Food ration is 1 scoop (standard TSC feed scoop) of each food mixed and given twice a day. We don't ever remove the food from the pen so they can eat as they please and of course all the water they can drink and play in.

Purina Flock Raiser- Crude Protein: 20%; Crude Fat: 3.5%
Ragland Dried Molasses- Crude-4%; Crude Fiber- 24%; Total Sugar- 38%
Mix 1 Dairy Ration (local feed mill)- Crude Protein- 16%, Crude Fat-4%

Will post every Sat an update on how they are doing on the new food and if they are actually eating everything or if we have to up the amount or lower the amount of food. Hoping for some good results.

So back in Feb we got 12 Pekin ducklings from TSC, a straight run. We ended up with 4 hens and 8 drakes. We are keeping all the hens and 1 drake for eggs. The other drakes are being processed for meat in the next 2-3 weeks. Right now they are about 9wks, because we don't know the exact hatch date. Only they were between 2-4days old when we got them. We weighed the 7 drakes, numbered each and have them on a new feed ration to fatten up. Since this is our first time raising ducks, and ducks for meat even. We are trying by trial and error to get the most flavorful meat and largest size dressed weight we can. Then new feed ration is as follows and weights for each duck. Will weigh every Sat until processing, then will have dressed weights at the end. Hoping to learn from others here that have done the same to see if results are norm or if I do better or worse and for other first timers as well.

Duck 1- 5lbs
Duck 2- 5.2lbs
Duck 3- 5.4lbs
Duck 4- 4.7lbs
Duck 5- 4.5lbs
Duck 6- 4.2lbs
Duck 7- 3.8lbs

Food ration is 1 scoop (standard TSC feed scoop) of each food mixed and given twice a day. We don't ever remove the food from the pen so they can eat as they please and of course all the water they can drink and play in.

Purina Flock Raiser- Crude Protein: 20%; Crude Fat: 3.5%
Ragland Dried Molasses- Crude-4%; Crude Fiber- 24%; Total Sugar- 38%
Mix 1 Dairy Ration (local feed mill)- Crude Protein- 16%, Crude Fat-4%

Will post every Sat an update on how they are doing on the new food and if they are actually eating everything or if we have to up the amount or lower the amount of food. Hoping for some good results.
what hppened??
I want details
I am about to get pekins for meat-

Well that is a shame. The link above is not operable. I have some pekins, now at 7 wks. I want to know if the fluffy fuzzy down off their backs and tails will be gone at processing time, 12 wks according to Holderread's book.

Back
Top Bottom