Meat Rabbits

it hard to believe people still eat rabbits, lol i should say there is a demand for it. i ate rabbits when i was young and a few other animals people dont eat reg like squirl and dove and pheasant but that was from the old folk in my fam that fed me that

I am interested in way of getting a more natural and healthier meal for my family. Today's meat is so filled with anti biotics and such that I am just not interested. I also don't think I want to go through that much work for chicken processing. Eggs are a whole nother deal. and I am in desperate need of poop.

I read on here a bit about raining them in a hutch and on the ground. Which do you think is best?

Also I am interested but have never tasted rabbit... seems really hard to find....

Last edited:
Rabbit meat is awesome; if you have never had it you should try it. My grandpa raised them for a long time. I used to help him butcher them the only thing I hated is when you cut there necks they squeal loud. I always hated that part! Made me feel bad!
hmm.png

Get white rabbits with red eyes-I always have had less trouble processing those
smile.png
It's not very difficult-I used to do it when I was a young teen. I like raising them in hanging bank cages if you have the room. I have to use stacking cages right now because of limited space, but I hate cleaning trays, and prefer to just scoop poop.

Since I've started raising for raw diet feeders (dog and cat food) I've gotten to the point where I can go from live to clean and in a cooler in 15 minutes. This is for an 8 week old NZW/English Spot Cross. The older they get, the harder they are to skin. I rarely let them get to 16 weeks old unless I am planning on keeping them for future breeders or for someone else.

Rabbit has a flavor all of it's own, and is extremely healthy and easily digested.

Here is a link to a few facts about meat rabbits that you may find interesting: http://www.ardengrabbit.com/facts.html

Rabbits
are great producers (generally) and are easy to care for, and can be processed at home quickly and humanely.

Hope this helps some!
Emily in NC

I have read that their urine can be hard on the hutch material, would pressure treated lumber be good enough, or would it be a concern for them chewing on it? I have thought about raising some as well, but I may have to wait, my girls saw some at the county fair, and all I heard for the next hour was how cute they were. They accept chickens as food, I raise a batch of meat birds each year, but this might be a bit tougher to get past them. Enough of a ramble, what about the pee on the wood problem?

I have hanging all wire cages. Solves the urine problem. If one is prone to sore hocks, they get a piece of cardboard to lay on. Do not use treated lumber anywhere the rabbits can even possibly get ahold of it. Even if they only chew it and don't eat it, it is possible to get some of the nasty chemicals in the wood into them, and it will either kill them, or you'll eventually end up eating the chemicals in the rabbit meat. Look up what actually goes into most pressure treated lumber, you'll quickly understand why you shouldn't burn it (ever), to not put it in your garden, and why animals shouldn't be allowed near it. I'm off to work or I'd look it up and post it here myself.

Emily in NC

We raise our rabbits in wire cages suspended from ceiling of barn. I wasn't raised on game meat, but have found rabbits to be palatable. It has a mild flavor and little fat. Cook it hot and fast such as frying or slow like in stew. Otherwise, it can be tough. We have not butchered yet (a friend always did the butchering in exchange for meat) so no advice there.

I plan on using wire cages hung on t-posts with the notches.. I also plan on putting pans under them that are angled toward the back or one side where there will be bins or a trough to collect the poo.. I've never eaten rabbit (yet) so can't say what it tastes like..

Avoid using any wood. Pressure treated might last longer but it will stink and harbor diseases just as well as construction grade lumber.

Added. And yes, Muddler, they will chew on it, so keep any wood hutch framing well outside the cage, particularly if you do use pressure treated. I don't know the physiological problems it would cause, but don't put anything in their hutch that you wouldn't chew on yourself.

Wayne

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom