Meaties 101

They seem to catch on after the first couple of moves. That said, I have ran a few over, especially when I used the Salatin style tractors and couldn't see the birds. I really like the hoop house type.

This pic is from last year. When I replaced the tarp this year, I used a smaller one that doesn't go all the way to the ground. I like it much better, as it allows the wind to blow through it which keeps the birds cooler.

bigredfeather how many sq ft do you allow for each turkey in your hoop tractor?

I am new to broilers and was wondering what the best way is to let people know and get the birds sold after the harvest?

Start with friends, family and co-workers. You'll probably be quite surprised how quickly they'll sell to those groups. From there, word of mouth tends to do enough advertising. If for some reason you want to go larger, faster, you can always start posting to Craig's List. Just make sure you are following your local laws about it. Some municipalities are much more strict about it than others.

I found this a few months back. They've been around for a long time.

Modern Farming; Agriculture in Britain, 1943. Edward Raines, poultryman on a Hampshire farm, moves a poultry fold into line with the others in the field. Each of these chicken ‘sheds’ contains 25 birds. They are moved their length every day, providing fresh ground for the hens to feed on and also making sure that the chicken manure is spread across the whole field. According to the original caption: “the folds are portable and, with the aid of simple, wheeled moving-gear, are easily moved”. Photo: Ministry of Information Second World War Official Collection.

I found this a few months back. They've been around for a long time.

Modern Farming; Agriculture in Britain, 1943. Edward Raines, poultryman on a Hampshire farm, moves a poultry fold into line with the others in the field. Each of these chicken ‘sheds’ contains 25 birds. They are moved their length every day, providing fresh ground for the hens to feed on and also making sure that the chicken manure is spread across the whole field. According to the original caption: “the folds are portable and, with the aid of simple, wheeled moving-gear, are easily moved”. Photo: Ministry of Information Second World War Official Collection.
welcome-byc.gif
That's amazing that you were able to find this pic. So much has been "reinvented" from the past.

Back
Top Bottom